this is me trying

(Based of the song This is me Trying by Taylor Swift)

I never wanted it to come to something like this, but here I am. Seated at some dive bar on the outskirts of town, swirling the whiskey in my glass as I stared out the window at the cars speeding past on the highway.

I sighed and started digging for my wallet to pay my tab when I felt someone sit down next to me.

"Hi" she greeted.
"Hey" I responded softly
"Are you okay?" She asked. For some reason this random stranger asking me if I was okay was enough to send me over the edge. Suddenly I felt tears start to streak down my face. I shook my head.
"No. No I have never been okay" I whispered shakily.
She signaled the bartender for another round and turned to me.
"Do you want to talk about it?"

I took a deep breath and started.
"They told me all of my cages were mental, so I got wasted like all my potential. My words shoot to kill when I'm mad, I have a lot of regrets about that."
I thought back on all the friendships and relationships lost all because I lost control over what I had said to them. The stranger gave me an understanding look and nodded for me to continue.

"I was so 'ahead of the curve', the curve became a sphere. I fell behind all my classmates and ended up here. Pouring out my heart to a stranger, but I didn't pour the whiskey. I just wanted you to know that this is me trying." I said recalling how disappointed my family was when they lost their "golden child".

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to meet the stranger's eyes.
"At least you're trying" she said.

I gave a small smile and nodded.
"Thank you-" I trailed off.
"Wanda" she filled in.

I felt myself lean forward slowly and felt our lips attach softly. I pulled back and turned my attention back to my near empty glass sitting patiently on the bar.
Her lips pressed against my cheek once more as she payed her tab and left the bar.
I looked down at the paper she slid towards me, her number written in red ink.

"Thank you Wanda" I whispered.

------------------------------------------------------------------
AN: Thank you for reading. Go listen to folklore, it's a good album. Hope you enjoyed, sorry for the late update.