Chapter 20 - The Tunnel People

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Cassie and Gabe couldn’t run as fast as the older children who slowed down to match their pace while encouraging them not to let up. The station platform ended with stairs that led to the tracks and the tunnel.

“You want us to run on the tracks?” Binny yelled at her brother, now on the verge of tears herself.

“There are no trains. It’s okay.” Zach tried to sound reassuring.

Zach looked around nervously for the first time noticing more men and women tentatively coming out of the shadows and looking to see what the commotion was about. In the distance the old man was still yelling that the library was closed and that rules were meant to be followed.

“You didn’t know there was a subway station up until two minutes ago. How do you know there are no trains?”

Penny noticed the gathering crowd and grabbed Binny’s arm.

“Ow.” Binny yelped.

“We have to go, now!” Penny’s eyes were wide as she showed Binny the crowd gathering in the distance.

“I vote tracks.” Zoe said and sailed down the stairs with Gabe in tow.

Everyone followed. After a couple of minutes, the younger kids were out of breath and needed to take a break. As best as Zach could tell, there didn’t seem to be any people in the tunnel itself, so they all stopped to catch their breath.

Zach shined his flashlight on the faces of his companions to see how they were doing and tried hard to ignore the fragments of advice from his father, being responsible and making good choices that were ringing repeatedly in his head.

“We’re going to be fine.” Zach said with more confidence than he felt.

“What was wrong with that man?” Cassie asked.

Zach paused for a moment, looking at the other older children for guidance that wasn’t forthcoming. Taking Cassie’s hand he said, “I’m not really sure. I don’t think he was a bad person. But I think he might be sick.”

“What do you suggest we do now? We just ran away from the only way out of here. We’re trapped. I told you this was a bad idea.” Binny was shaking.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. We’re all still fine. We’ll figure this out.” Zach turned to Zoe, “I’m sorry I got you into this. I promise, I’ll get us out.”

A look of anger flashed across Zoe’s face. “You got me into this? You did? You’re gonna get me out? I thought we were a team. You don’t make decisions for me. I make my own choices. You’re not responsible for me.”

Zach’s face fell. Zoe glared at him until he had no choice but to look away.

“There’s another way out.” Penny said calmly.

“What do you mean?” Binny said.

“Did you see any tunnel people passing us in our hideout?” Penny cracked a small smile.

“No.”

“Well they must have come from somewhere.” Penny raised her eyebrows to emphasize her point.

“Subway stations usually have exits to the street.” Zach rejoined the conversation tentatively.

“Not abandoned subway stations that aren’t open to the public.” Zoe responded.

Zach tried to look anywhere but at Zoe.

“So we keep going in this direction until we find an exit?” Zoe directed her question at Penny and Binny.