The lesson had passed in a flash after this as Professor McGonagall reeled us back to the topic of Animagi, and I felt myself become entranced. Obviously, as a werewolf, I could already turn into an animal, but it was never at will, and it was so painful to transform every month. So, a part of me wondered why people would want to do that willingly. Maybe it was different. I wasn't sure.

"Miss Max-- Lupin." Professor McGonagall called at the end of the lesson when everyone had begun to pack up to go to lunch. "If I can have a quick word."

I nodded and smiled at Neville as he walked out before leaving my bag on the table. I sent my professor another smile when I stood before her desk and watched her rifle through her pile of documents on the desk. Making a soft noise when she withdrew the correct paper, she looked up to face me.

"I'll need you to get your father to sign this form so you can join your classmates in going to the village of Hogsmeade," she told me, passing me the small rectangular slip, and I looked down to read it. "Of course, he's already given me verbal permission, but I can't accept that on its own."

"Of course not, Professor, I'll get it to you after dinner," I replied, and she nodded before letting me go to lunch, watching me grab my bag and exit the classroom.

Only just aware of how hungry I was, I rushed down the corridors towards the Great Hall, stopping and watching in shock as Hermione stormed out of the doors angrily. I watched as she ran past me without looking back, and a part of me had wanted to follow her, but the bigger part of me knew I was going to collapse if I didn't have lunch soon. So, with a sigh, I gripped my bag against my shoulder and walked into the Great Hall, looking up and down the Gryffindor table for Fred and George or Seamus, Dean and Neville. I sighed again, deflating slightly. The only people I recognised were Harry and Ron, and they looked to be in deep conversation. I didn't want to disturb them, so I sat at the end of the table alone and spooned a few ladlefuls of stew onto my plate as I sipped on some water.

I could see why Dad loved Hogwarts so much. Every part of it was... Mesmerising. It was like Hogwarts was its own little world, with so many different people and aspects, it was so easy to forget this was just a school. I could spend all day exploring the ancient castle if I could, and I knew I had to ask Dad if we could do that one day soon. I'd missed him so much. That was the one part of Hogwarts I didn't like. Because Dad and I had been joint at the hip for the last twelve years, it was so hard to be apart from him, even if it was only for a few hours. For over half of my life, Dad was all I ever knew. Dad was my best friend, my saviour from nightmares, my chess competitor, my everything. I could trust him with everything, and I knew he'd do anything for me. I hated being apart from him so much. And now... I knew it'd be hard to get to see him even for five minutes every day. I wasn't sure I was quite prepared for that.

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

LAUGHING with Seamus and Dean as we exited the castle after lunch, I turned around and started walking backwards as we talked. I'd caught up with the boys in the Common Room after I'd eaten and immediately joined their game before we had to leave for Care of Magical Creatures. The sky was a sheet of pale grey as the grass crunched under our feet, and the three of us laughed loudly over the group of Slytherins who were practically cackling in front of us. That was until I saw Harry, Ron and Hermione walking behind us, not even looking at each other. I stopped and quickly told the boys I'd come back during the lesson before I walked over to Hermione, immediately sparking up a conversation. She smiled at me as she let me pull her away from the boys, and we talked about a book she'd read while we made our way to Hagrid's hut by a forest that bordered the castle's grounds.