𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚗𝚎.

✧・゚:*✧・゚:*

Her senses come back to her in parts, one at a time

Her senses come back to her in parts, one at a time. First is sound; the steady beeping of a machine echoes throughout the room, sounding close but giving off a faint echo. Next is smell. The overwhelming scent of antiseptic and hand sanitizer makes her face scrunch up, doing nothing to help the excessive pounding in her head. Her hands twitch, the pads of her fingers ghosting over soft fabric, the heaviness of the blanket weighing on her legs and alleviating some of the soreness. The last and most difficult sense to awaken is sight; the intense throbbing makes it hard to open her eyes, the lids wanting to stay closed as she fights to open them. All of the strength she can muster is put into forcing her eyes open, and they immediately slam shut as she's assaulted by the brightness of the sun coming through the window. Slowly this time, she opens them fully and allows herself to adjust to the light.

Avery glances at her surroundings, almost immediately recognizing the hospital room as belonging to Med, a hospital she's been in many times before. After a few moments, she attempts to adjust herself on the bed and sit up, but a severe pain shoots through her body, a hand involuntarily flying to the source as the beeping of the machine speeds up just slightly. She can feel the thick bandaging on the side of her abdomen when she puts pressure on it, her eyes screwing shut. She inhales sharply through her nose, clenching her jaw and trying to will the pain away with slow breaths. A few minutes go by, and the pain slightly lessens, the monitors returning to normal. She takes the time to remember what happened and how she got here, but everything comes up blank.

The sound of footsteps alerts her to another presence in the room, and her entire body tenses up, ready to brace herself for a fight, no matter how illogical the thought. She forces her eyes open again, searching for anything through the light. She hears a voice before she actually sees anything, and the familiarity makes her relax.

"Hey there," the voice greets through a smile, voice quiet and calming, though laced with a twinge of disbelief.

Avery's eyes finally adjust to the light, and the man before her comes into focus, a small smile tugging at her lips. "Will," she breathes out his name, trying once again to lean up on her elbows, slower this time. It still causes her to wince, though, and the doctor moves quickly to her bed.

"Whoa," Will gently pushes her back with a hand on her shoulder, ignoring the frown on the woman's face. "Slow down," he chastises before moving his hand to the side of the bed, fingers ghosting over the buttons until he finds the right one, "I got it."

Letting out a breath, Avery relaxes back onto the bed as it slowly starts to rise at the waist, allowing her to sit up a bit without exerting any effort. Once she's at a comfortable height, she lightly squeezes Will's wrist with her fingers, using as much strength as she can manage, and he stops. She goes to speak, but nothing comes out, and she clears her throat.