xxiv. narrative & messages

Beginne am Anfang

          "Wait—that's it!" Louis jolted up from the island.

          "Wait 'what's it'—Louis! Where are you going?" Millie followed after him.

          He didn't stop walking and continued toward the door. "If she won't come to me, then I'll go to her."

          "Lou... that's not how this works—"

"Mills, what else have I got to lose?" He turned and looked at his friend hopelessly.

          "This is a terrible idea, I'll admit that, but I can't just give up. I love her too much—" Louis paused having realized what he said. Even Millie was left speechless.

          "Love?" Millie repeated.

          Louis flexed his hands nervously, "Y-yeah. I think so..." He said in an attempt to back track.

          "I suppose I can't stand in the way of that then." She moved aside to allow him to pass by.

          "Thank you."

          "But I'm driving." Millie grabbed her keys and sunglasses off the table by the entrance. "I wouldn't trust you with my car."

          "Good idea." He nodded.

          Penelope sat at the kitchen counter dicing up veggies for a salad. Lily was stationed at the stove grilling chicken for dinner.

          Penelope was in no way a good cook. The best she could fix up was ramen, and even that came out a little wonky sometimes. But how can anyone screw up a salad? It's just cutting lettuce.

         She tossed the lettuce, along with: tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. They were eating dinner pretty early today. Penelope had plans for a movie date with her bed and a bag of sour patch kids.

          "The salad looks very," Lily looked over her shoulder from the stove. "Green...?" She sounded unsure.

          The leaves were now soggy and drenched in the dressing. It was the most depressing salad Lily had ever seen.

          "It's still edible." Penelope offered.

         "Is it?" Lily picked up a deflated piece of lettuce with her utensil.

          Penelope lifted the bowl and dumped it into the trash. "Remind me to never cook again—"

Ding-Dong

          "Oh no! The salad police have come to get you RUN." Lily smirked and waved the spatula in the air.

          She raised a finger to flip Lily off. "Very funny." Penelope spun around and jogged to the front door to see who it was.

           She swung the door open and was face to face with the last person on Earth she wanted to see right now. Penelope got one good glance before swinging the door closed.