Chapter Twenty Five

Beginne am Anfang

"Ah." I nodded, still not getting it but pretending I did.

"Back on topic," Grant cut in, "Any ideas?"

"I already told you mine, but you party poopers didn't seem to like it.." Xavion shrugged. "Do you got any ideas?"

Grant glared. "Xavion, you can't seriously think that causing them harm will make them like us, right? You do understand that we're trying to defuse the situation, right?"

I bit my lip, thinking. "Maybe we could send them an apology letter?" I suggested. "That's what we did in heaven when we unintentionally upset another angel."

Grant grunted. "I doubt they'll care. If anything, they'll latch onto the response and start sending us even more annoying letters."

"Let's kidnap Renee and hold her for ransom." Xavion grinned, forming a plan in his head. "We'll cut off a finger for every letter they send us. And a toe for every angel they try to get to assassinate me!"

"I will no longer be accepting suggestions from Xavion." Grant sighed and turned to me. "Any ideas, Ishmael?"

I shrugged, frowning. "I dunno. I've never really had to do problem-solving before."

"Well shit." Grant sighed. "I've also got nothing." He shrugged. "Let's lay low for a bit. I need to head to work tomorrow, but you two should just stay here.

I nodded in agreement as Xavion groaned.

"Duuuuuuuuuuude, you abandon us alone toooo muchhhh."

Grant gave Xavion a dull stare. "It's called having a job."

"I have a--"

"--a job that's not illegal." Grant cut in, rolling his eyes.

Xavion pouted. "Just because it's not legal doesn't mean it's not a solid, time-consuming job."

"Then how do you have time to spend corrupting Ishmael?" Grant deadpanned.

Xavion shrugged. "It's called 'neglecting your work.' You should try it."

"No." Grant deadpanned. "I'm not crazy. And because I'm not crazy, I'm heading to sleep. You two get that bed," he pointed to the bed closest to the door. "I get this one." He coupled his statement by crashing on the bed closest to the covered window. He wiggled his pants and shirt off before throwing his clothes in a pile on the floor and wedging himself under the covers. "I've gotta wake up hella early to stop at a store and get more clothes to go to work."

Why do I always end up in bed with Xavion? I mean, it's not a bad thing-- he's not too restless of a sleeper. But, still, I was allergic to him. It's not good for my health. Xavion sighed and stripped off his clothes, down to the underwear, and got under the covers.

I uncomfortably got in on the other side.

"Dude." Xavion groaned. "Don't wear jeans to bed-- if your jeaned-up leg scrapes against mine, I will murder you mid-sleep."

I glowered at him. "Well, all my sleeping clothes burned in the fire."

"Same here. That's why I'm just wearing underwear." He rolled his eyes. "Grant does the same thing every night, you'll survive it for one."

I felt heat crawling up my cheeks. "Y-You want me to take my pants off and then get under the covers with you?"

"I mean, that's the gayest possible way to say it, but essentially yes."

Grant made a noise of affirmation from across the room. "Do it, Ishmael. It's the most free I've ever felt."

I scowled at them doubtfully before sighing and quickly taking my pants off. I felt the cold air against my leg hairs and shivered. I decided to keep some modesty with my shirt, since Xavion hadn't complained about that. Xavion jokingly whistled as I slowly started to get under the covers. I didn't know whether to blush or glare at him, so I grabbed one of my pillows and smashed his face with it.