One Night in Madripoor

Bucky's POV

Our arrival in Madripoor also included a costume change for Sam, who wasn't to pleased about it "We have to do something about this. I'm the only one who looks like a pimp."
"Only an American would assume a fashion-forward Black man looks like a pimp." Zemo complained "You look exactly like the man you're supposed to be playing. The sophisticated, charming African rake named Conrad Mack, aka the Smiling Tiger." Zemo handed Sam his phone to show him a picture of the man. "He even has a bad nickname." Sam complained "Hell, he does look like me, though."

"You smell this?" Zero asked referring to the toxic scent filling our nostrils.
"Yeah, what is that? Acid?" Sam guessed.
"Madripoor." Zero stated "No matter what happens, we have to stay in character. Our lives depend on it. There's no margin for error. High Town's that way. Not a bad place if you wanna visit, but Low Town's the other way."
"Let me guess. We don't have any friends in High Town." Sam said and Zemo shook his head. We all got in the waiting car and headed for Low Town just as a thunderstorm started. Almost immediately a gang of motorcyclists surrounded the car to check it out and once they determined we weren't a threat they left.

Zemo led us into a club "Ready to comply... Winter Soldier?" he asked me in Russian. Of course, I didn't show any emotions on the outside but I grimaced inwardly. We walked over to the bar where the barman greeted Sam as the Smiling Tiger.
"His plans changed. We have business to do with Shelby." Zemo explained.
"The usual?" Asked the bartender and Sam nodded having no idea what the usual was. And apparently Smiling Tiger's usual drink included snake guts - even I had to show my distaste at that but I was impressed Sam managed to stay in character and drink it.

A man came up behind Zemo and threatened him to leave by insisting someone called the Power Broker didn't want him here. Zemo threatened to have me attack him unless he got to speak to this Selby woman and the man left to find out what his orders were.
"A power broker? Really?"
"Every kingdom needs its king." Zemo stated "Let's just pray we stay under his radar."
"Do you know him?" Sam asked.
"Only by reputation. In Madripoor he is judge, jury, and executioner."

A different, tougher looking man was now approaching us. "Winter Soldier... attack." Zemo ordered in Russian.

"Stay in character or the whole bar turns on us." Zemo warned Sam as he tried to stop me "Well done, soldier." Zemo told him in Russian getting him to stand down.
"Selby will see you now." The bartender told us.
"Thank you." Said Zemo before he headed for the back room.
"You good?" Sam asked me, I didn't give him a verbal answer, I just exhaled sharply and followed Zemo.

"You should know Baron. People don't just come into my bar and make demands." A female voice announced, this must be Selby.
"Not a demand. An offer." Zemo corrected.
"How did you escape?"
"People like us always find a way, don't we? I'm sure you've already figured out what I'm here for."
"You're talller than I'd heard, Smiling Tiger." Selby interrupted - 'we may be blown' I thought, but thankfully she moved on asking Zemo:

"The super-soldier serum is here in Madripoor. Dr. Wilfred Nagel is the the man you wanna thank. Or... condem, depending on what side of this you're on. The Power Broker had him working on the serum, but... things didn't go as planned."
"Is Nagel still in Madripoor?"
"Oh. The bread crumbs you can have for free, but the bakery is gonna cost you, Baron. And before you get all cute, don't think you can find Nagel without me."