Chap 4. [Saved at Last]

Start from the beginning

~

     The cool night was a huge difference to the Mafia's warm office.  Stars gleamed down on them and reflected in the large windows. 

     Atsushi broke grasp from Dazai and started flailing and screaming instantly in mid air.  Time seemed to go into slow motion as the two agents fell from the tall headquarter building.

     Dazai was falling above the were-tiger.  He dove head first at him to make contact with him once more.

     Dazai's bandaged arms grasped Atsushis shoulders and made him fall in a straight line.  Tears rolled down poor Atsushis face and into Dazais.

     The tall man regretted doing this but it was the only way to get the both of them out semi-safely.  Atsushi- in his drunken state -must have been very confused by the sudden free fall.

     Dazai grabbed Atsushi and twisted so that the smaller male was now on top of Dazai.  The tall man wrapped his arms around Atsushi so that he would quit flailing. 

     The pair was making it closer and closer to the ground as the air pressure met up with them.

     Still screaming, Atsushi yelled at Dazai.
     "W-what the hell?! A-are we gonna-"
Before he could finish, the fall finally ended.

     Suddenly, a young male with a farmers hat lunged out of nowhere and grasped the two other men. 

     The three of them all fell in a tumble with resulted in a lot of cuts and bruises, but no broken bones or lethal injuries.

    The first to stand up was the boy who had saved the two others.  His bright golden eyes looked down at the pair.  Smiling, he spoke.

     "We weren't expecting you to jump out the building, Osamu!"

     This young man was no other than Kenji, a bright boy who always was and optimist about every situation.

    He first brought his arm down to Dazai, who took his hand.  Dazai stood up and looked down at Kenji, before apologizing.

     Dazai picked up Atsushi, and Kenji gave him a questioning look.

    Smiling, the brown haired man chuckled.
     "He's blackout drunk."

     Atsushi looked over at Kenji after Dazai had left him to stand for himself.  He toppled over for the hundredth time of the night onto the blonde boy.

     This time, he was finally asleep for good.

     Dazai started walking as Kenji lifted the were-tiger over his back.  To Kenji, it felt like lifting an ant.  His ability was unique and he could practically lift anything and everyone.

     They made their way back to the agency in the dead of night.

~
Time skip
~

     Atsushi woke up in a cold sweat and looked around frantically.  He was in the agency's living quarters but it wasn't his. 

     Was that just some strange fever dream?
    Atsushi thought to himself as he got up from the bed he was laying in.

    He looked out the window and saw that it was daylight.  His head hurt really bad and he felt groggy.  The sunlight hit him like a thousand bullets.

     Suddenly, a man came from around the corner.

     "Good morning Atsushi!  I made you some tea on rice~"

     He knew that voice all too well.
     "D-Dazai?"

     The tall man walked up to Atsushi and sat down at the table, asking the smaller male to join him for lunch.

     "Did all that... actually happen?"
     Dazai gave off a soft smile as he placed Atsushis bowl in front of him.

     "Of course it did!"

     Atsushi stiffened in his seat as he looked into Dazais bright brown eyes.

     "Dont worry it's all taken care of!  You should be worried about getting over that hangover of yours though."
Dazai chuckled.

     Atsushi was confused- confused about everything. But he wasn't too worried about it if Dazai wasn't worried about it.

     He ate his tea on rice and remembered last night.   He remembered the Port Mafia executive, the drinks... Atsushi shuddered.
Akutagawa...

     It wasn't the worst time in the world though.. surprisingly.  Atsushi smiled as he remembered how fun it was to fall from that building.

     "Hey Atsushi."
Atsushi looked up at Dazai and waited for him to continue.

      "How did Chuuya treat you?"
Dazai smiled.

     The conversations that followed that morning were quite interesting.  Atsushi understood that the Port Mafia and Armed Detective Agency could never be at peace.
But...

Atsushi smiled and ate his tea on rice.

     It would be nice if they could find a half way point in between.

-
The End
-