“Ji Junpei felt suffocated. He didn’t want others to look down on him, and he didn’t want you to misunderstand him. It just so happened that he applied for a scholarship and went to study abroad. He wanted to wait until he made a certain level of achievements before telling you his feelings. I also persuaded him at the time that if you liked him, you wouldn’t think too much of it. This is what he told me. He said, the things you eat and use are excellent. If he was together with you while he didn’t have any financial means, he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to give you these things, and his attitude would change3.”

“He really, truly likes you.”

Song Yuan was silent. She was a very slow person. Now, listening to the words of her upperclassman and recalling the care she had been given in college, what more didn’t she understand?

She stirred the ice cream in her cup with her spoon, whispering, “Xuejie, do you like him?”

Jiang Na was taken aback, but she just smiled and said, “I don’t know either. I just can’t bear to see others have difficulties due to misunderstandings and lack of explanations. In fact, this has nothing to do with me. I haven’t paid you two close attention in the last few years. It’s just, it’s just, seeing him in such low spirits, I find it hard to look at. How could a grown man not say what’s in his heart? What good is that mouth for?”

Xuejie, thank you ah.” Song Yuan looked up and smiled at her gratefully. “Although they’re things of the past, I was happy to hear about them. I always felt… in those years, I felt like I was showering affections on an uninterested party, but I don’t like him anymore. I can’t say why. I don’t have difficulties or regrets, but it’s really impossible between me and him.”

Jiang Na sighed. “I understand. I can only say that he’s a very self-important person ba. Maybe all men are like this?”

She tilted her head and smiled. “Men are so arrogant, always believing that everything will go as they planned, right?”

Song Yuan, amused by these words, nodded vigorously. “Right, men are so arrogant!”

This meal with her upperclassman made Song Yuan completely put down the past between her and Ji Junpei.

She was relaxed, even happy. She couldn’t understand Ji Junpei’s thoughts because their backgrounds were not the same, but she also had no right to accuse him of being in the wrong. Perhaps if the circumstances were switched, she would also have made the same choice. She just sighed when she thought of the past few years. Song Yuan, don’t let your imagination run wild. You weren’t showering affection on an uninterested party. It’s just that you two aren’t a good fit.

With a good mood, her footsteps were naturally much lighter.

Song Yuan took the express train back to the community. Just as she was walking quickly towards the building, she spotted Rong Heng standing by the flower beds downstairs.

A little surprised to see him, she quickly jogged over to him. Her cheeks were flushed, chilled by the cold wind. “Why are you here?”

Rong Heng took out a small hand warmer from his coat pocket and handed it to her. “Just passing by. I wanted to tell you something.”

“What is it?” Song Yuan didn’t want to take this precious hand warmer, but he stuffed it directly into her hands…

A rarely seen look of helplessness and awkwardness appeared on Rong Heng’s face. “I didn’t tell you. Mr. Xie, my father in name, arranged a blind date for me a few days ago.”