Preparing for the Talent Contest

The next few days blurred into a stream of rehearsals. Ger's Ma took over the shop on a couple of days during the week so Ger and the band could prepare even harder. Ger was happy to see her up and about and talking to people and no longer frozen at home, unable to act, trapped in her depression after Dad leaving.

On Jerry's advice, Ger convinced uncle Edward to play with them and this gave them a bigger and lusher sound than before since Uncle Ed was not just a good musician but he had some nice gear too like a good amp and a nice guitar. Uncle Eddie was surprised at the young band's maturity, unaware of Jerry Lee Mouse and his guiding hand.

After his father's confrontation, Ger was happy to have the distraction and dove headfirst into his music. They practiced Ger's new song and some old pieces of their repertoire until Jerry started suggesting alternatives, which infuriated Ariana. After some tense moments, Jerry had convinced the band to drop most of their rubbish songs and learn Ger's song and some covers.

Uncle Eddie also wanted to play other material but instead of criticizing the band's songs he suggested songs by bands that they all liked and Uncle Eddie was kind of surprised they didn't know how to play or worse, they played badly.

So slowly, bit by bit, the band (now called Papasaurious Rex after Jerry and Johnny spent time comparing their Velociraptor impressions during a break) was getting better.

"I don't see why we have to play other people's songs," complained Ariana.

"Because we have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, besides these songs are tried and tested, we know they sound good unlike..."

"Unlike our songs?" Ariana interrupted.

"Well, yea," said Jerry. "I tell you what, write a new song that's decent and I'll let you include it in the set," Jerry negotiated.

"What's the point of rehearsing more songs? If we're getting ready for Look whose got no talent we only need one song," Johnny pointed out.

Jerry shrugged "It's fun, we might get through the first round and need more material for the next, and we have a plan B. It's good to plan."

Uncle Eddie arrived and since he couldn't see Jerry Lee Mouse since he wasn't a lost musician that put a stop to the discussion as the band behaved like he wasn't there when Ger's uncle was around.

Whilst there was some conflict between Ariana and Jerry, the band had instantly adopted Ger's uncle. Despite being a much better musician, he was patient and encouraging with them. His years of experience as a teacher came in to play and under his tutoring, the band quickly learned songs like Smells like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. In contrast to Jerry, a stern taskmaster, Uncle Eddie saw the individual member's strengths and weaknesses and worked with them to eliminate the former and get the most out of the latter. He noticed that Ariana had quite a good voice and developed some nice counter harmonies with her. When he realized that Johnny was probably the best musician out of the three, he pushed them to learn No One Knows by the Queen's of the Stone Age so Johnny had a place to shine.

The days went on like that. A quick warm-up, constant rehearsals, discussions. The days before the audition seemed to flow into a neverending river of music, cymbals crashing, snares snarling, basses slapping, guitars growling. Ger's uncle would arrive later and they would the same again but louder.

In such a small town like Ballycraicsdown rumors spread like wildfire and soon everyone knew that not only were the band going to audition for the TV show but that for the first time they sounded good and might have a chance to get through the first round. Slowly a tiny fan club started and like all fan clubs, they began making banners and T-shirts.

Since the band didn't talk to him when Eddie was around, Jerry Lee Mouse took advantage of this and barked out more orders.

"What about logistics? How are we getting to this shindig?" he asked as the band ended one of their new versions of a rock classic.

Ger thought it best to ask his uncle.

"Uncle Eddie? How are we going to get to the audition?"

A concerned look passed over uncle Eddie's face.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about that, you're dad has sobered up. He's been spending the last few days with me and he seems to be making a real effort to stay on the wagon. He wants to take us there in his new van. He's offered to roadie for us."

"He's sober? Every day?" asked Ger. His uncle nodded.

"Come on kid, give your old man a chance," said Jerry.

"What do you think?" he asked Ariana and Johnny.

"Sure, why not?" answered Johnny.

"I think it's a good idea Ger, give him one last chance," said Ariana.

With that Papasaurious Rex had a new roadie.

Soon it was almost the day of the audition, Ger had problems getting to sleep and when he did, his dreams were full of a crowd staring at him on stage in silence. No chords sounded good on his guitar and it was constantly out of tune.