Chapter 27 The Science Fair

Comincia dall'inizio

Jose hovered over his fallen form, "You really need to stop trying to destroy the Universe. I'm kinda using it right now."

The talk of the fair suddenly skyrocketed, mostly because there was a rocket involved. There was an excited murmur running throughout the day, everyone wondering what they would see.

Before leaving English, Calley stopped and asked to speak with me for a few, signaling to Britney that she'd only be a minute.

"So I was wondering if you could come over after school and help me with my science project. I invited Reuben as well and he agreed."

Even though the guy was a troublemaker, he was also an 'A' student in the science field.

"Sure," I gladly accepted.

"This doesn't make us friends or anything," Calley was quick to add, widening my smile even more so.

"Right-t," I slowly nodded. "Wouldn't think of it."

To my surprise, Calley released an honest giggle. "Great, we'll all ride home together. I'm not taking any chances."

I laughed, knowing exactly what she meant. Calley bid me goodbye before rejoining Britney as I made way towards history class.

Arriving at Calley's, Leona welcomed us with a genuine smile. Then led us into the kitchen where a tall man, who I figured to be Calley's father, was drinking a beer and chopping vegetables for dinner. Calley dropped her backpack on the kitchen table.

"Now, Calley, is that where that belongs?"

"Daddy, this is Sophie and Reuben. They're here to help me come up with a science fair project."

Mr. Carson put down the knife and looked up at us. "We're proud to have you," he smiled and looked at his daughter. "I don't really know much about science, but, uh, why don't you try forensics? We can find a dead pigeon or something and take it to the lab. Find out how it died."

Calley grimaced. "Thanks, but I think I have all the help I need."

Moments later, our trio was stationed in Calley's bedroom and on the floor, perusing some science textbooks.

"Has anyone picked a topic yet?" I asked.

"Yeah, I think so. Electrical conductivity. Ions, copper wires, all that good stuff."

Calley shook her head. "I don't know. Maybe, I could do one of those paper-tapped-bottle-rockets."

"Uh, no. You're not doing that."

"How about something biological?" Reuben immediately sat up. "I think you'd like messing with plants and pigments. You know, photosynthesis, chloroplasts, chlorophyll..."

Calley blankly stared. "Uh, yeah, sure. I guess so."

"Yes! Great!" Rueben rubbed his hands together. "Okay, here's what you could try..."

Two days later, Reuben and I met with Calley in her backyard with the materials for her respective project

"Wait. Can one of you remind me what I'm supposed to be doing again?"

"You're trying to stop those weeds from producing chlorophyll by blocking the sunlight," I volunteered.

"What do I use to do that?"

"I dunno,"said Reuben. "Go grab something from the house."

Calley pondered for a moment and then ran into the house, returning with one of her father's vinyls. She propped it up on a small stake, tied it in place, and stepped back. "Perfect! I guess I just have to wait. So, who wants chicken and rice; mom's recipe."