Chapter 4 - Acceptance

Time skip 2 months

September rolled over faster than I anticipated meaning another start to a school year. Luckily this will be my last year of school and finally I get to experience the freedom of university, turning 18 and maybe finding my calling in this life. Speaking of 18, the grand adult age, my birthday was only a week away. Birthdays for me were always a time to spend with friends and family. But time now had become a very loose construct to me. My power was taking away my sense of coordination and sanity. I found myself forgetting what hour, day, week it is in the year making it seem like I have dementia or was losing my mind, which is not far off. I knew that I had to bury this part of me that I had discovered only a few months ago already before it is too late.
The week passed as a hazy blur consisting of faceless faces and meaningless conversations. The hours crept closer and closer to my big 18 and on that very night my parents decided to invite all my close friend and relatives. The day seemed to progress in a happy and seemingly "normal" manner. I celebrated, danced, sang, partied; anything a normal teenager would do screaming karaoke lyrics to all my favourite artists down these poorly built static microphones. I lost myself most of all in the music of the boy with a deep British accent and vibrant pink socks. For once in a very long time my stress dissipated, and I was transported in a dimension where I was safe, and I didn't have any problems.
The sense of relief was short lived due to the uproar of all the guests singing "happy birthday". As my mother approached with the cake and the song was about to end, I couldn't help but put on a melancholy smile. "was I ready to grow up?" "was I ready to take on life with all its difficulties?". There was not enough time to answer my thoughts before the song was finished and came the time to blow out all 18 candles. In that moment, time somehow slowed. As I took a deep breath in and released it, I could visually see each delicate flame extinguish until only one candle remained in at that time, I snap my fingers to reflect on this big life milestone. Shutting my eyes waiting for the familiar silence it never came. I opened my eyes abruptly and realized the snap didn't work.