Chapter 77: Challenger Chalcedony Vs. Elite Four

Start from the beginning

Salamence's tail swept Ninetales' feet from under it. It was forced to return to Courtney. Salamence kept its balance as it was subjected to another Dragon Pulse. Umbreon used Confuse Ray. Charizard began to fly in circles. Courtney sent out Blaziken. She switched confused Charizard for Magcargo. Blaziken used Protect. Chalcedony suspected it would, but she didn't predict the switch to Magcargo. Return was ineffective. Salamence was burned by Magcargo's Flame Body. Umbreon became increasingly blurry as it used Double Team again.

Blaziken ran and jumped. Its High Jump Kick was aimed at Umbreon, but it was hard to discern where exactly Umbreon was. Blaziken crashed past it and hurt itself. Salamence hurtled at Blaziken, who pulled it down in an unsuccessful attempt to resist Return. Blaziken fainted. Umbreon used Confuse Ray. Magcargo breathed out Clear Smog regardless. Umbreon's evasiveness was returned to normal. Courtney sent out Camerupt. Fans applauded its Mega Evolution. Salamence struck Magcargo with Brick Break. Its shell cracked, but it shook it off. Umbreon confused Camerupt. Salamence was cloaked in Magcargo's Clear Smog. The effects of Dragon Dance wore off. Camerupt snapped immediately out of confusion and blasted Heat Wave. It was ineffective against Salamence, but with its burn, it was beginning to weaken.

Brick Break dislodged a chunk of Magcargo's shell. It shuddered and fainted. Umbreon used Double Team again. The next Heat Wave took Salamence down. Chalcedony sent out Clawitzer. Courtney sent Ninetales back out. Clawitzer was immediately seared by Solar Beam. It shot Water Pulse back at Camerupt, but failed to knock it out. Confuse Ray whirled around Ninetales. Camerupt fired another Solar Beam. Clawitzer curled up and fell to the floor.

Chalcedony sent out Cinderace. Courtney withdrew Ninetales and sent out Charizard. Cinderace kicked a ball of Gunk Shot. Charizard dodged. The Hurricane it whipped up lifted Umbreon off its feet. It winced as it crashed down. It sprayed Toxic at Camerupt to poison it. Earth Power erupted around Cinderace. It teetered and fainted. Chalcedony sent out Salazzle.

This is getting dire. I can't lose in front of Wyatt!

'Go on, Salazzle! Sludge Bomb!'

Charizard was splattered in a critical hit. It tried and failed to rise. Umbreon frantically confused Camerupt again. It didn't stop Earth Power burying Salazzle in a pile of dirt; but being buried didn't stop Salazzle crawling back out. Courtney sent out Talonflame. It darted at Umbreon faster than the eye could follow. Umbreon was left bruised and bleeding. It staggered up only to fall.

Sludge Bomb battered and poisoned Talonflame. Chalcedony sent out her last Pokémon, Serperior. Another Sludge Bomb knocked Talonflame out. Serperior whipped up a sharp blast of Leaf Storm that knocked Camerupt over. Its hooves flailed. It fainted.

Courtney sent out Ninetales. It stared its opponents down alone. Sludge Bomb stained its tails. Serperior blasted it with Dragon Pulse. Its legs folded. Chalcedony's held breath rushed out in relief. Cail's whistle shrieked.

'Elite Four Courtney is defeated by Challenger Chalcedony!'

'You are interesting...'

Courtney turned. Chalcedony felt sick, but it wasn't just because that battle was uncomfortably close. Her next opponent was Eldes.

The elevator juddered. It was still compromised from the last attack of the Robo Groudon. Red and blue smoke billowed from the cracks in the glass before it was supposed to. The doors opened and closed. Eldes' entrance wasn't as graceful as it usually was. He had to force his way out.

'Oh, hello! You're the Salamence fan, aren't you?'

'Yeah... thanks for that.'

'You're welcome. I look forward to seeing Salamence in action! En garde!'

He addressed Chalcedony with the same tone as Zileh. There was no surge of repressed emotion in his grey eyes. Did she have to prove herself? Or was he just being nice when he sent her the gift? Or... did he just not really care or want to know her? Did he feel he couldn't, because of Ardos? Chalcedony was distracted. She hastily sent out Clawitzer and Serperior. Eldes sent out Flygon and Dragonite.

Dragonite was winded as Serperior's Dragon Pulse struck it in the stomach. Flygon slashed leaves from its neck with Aerial Ace. Clear blood pooled. Dragonite used Dragon Dance. Clawitzer fired Ice Beam from its claw to strike Flygon. It tumbled to the floor. Eldes sent out Hydreigon. Dragonite moved first after Dragon Dance. Serperior was slashed unconscious by its Aerial Ace. Hydreigon summoned Draco Meteor. A flaming blue ball hurtled from above into Clawitzer. When the flames died, it was unconscious.

Chalcedony sent out Salamence and Salazzle. Eldes smiled when she held up her Key Stone, but it seemed a nice smile, not a fatherly one. It was Ruhul who chanted her name. Dragonite tore through Salamence's wings with Dragon Claw. Brick Break struck Hydreigon in the stomach. Dragon Pulse shot back at Salamence. It span, desperately fighting to regain its balance, until it hit the stands. Chalcedony returned it before it slid, motionless, to the floor. Salazzle hurled Sludge Bomb. Hydreigon fainted. Chalcedony sent out Umbreon. Eldes sent out his own Salamence and held up his Mega Ring. Fans cheered.

Dragonite used Earthquake. The floor and stands violently shook. It was as if it shook the volcano itself. Salazzle couldn't keep its footing. It fainted. Umbreon used Double Team. Salamence used Dragon Dance. Chalcedony sent out Cinderace. The next Earthquake almost knocked her over. Cinderace fell to its knees. It struggled back up to slam Dragonite with Iron Head. Salamence used Return. Cinderace was pummeled unconscious.

Only Umbreon remained. Dragonite slashed its black fur with Dragon Claw. Salamence followed. Umbreon's legs gave way. They trembled as it tried to stand, but it could not. The whistle was shrill.

'Challenger Chalcedony is defeated by Elite Four Eldes.'

Eldes returned his Pokémon. Chalcedony shook his hand with a smile, but she had never felt less like acting in her life. If he was her father, she felt nothing. Apparently he didn't, either, because he wished her luck in future endeavours and turned away. She couldn't help feeling like he simply wanted to get on with his day as the elevator disappeared. Cail hugged her in the locker room. He assured her that he couldn't beat Eldes, either. She felt nothing.