Prologue

Sayaka found herself, not for the first time, sat in the school cafeteria, a chip hovering in front of her mouth as she tried to take in what Madoka just said.

They'd been living in Homura's world for about a month now, Sayaka having become fast friends with the 'transfer student', she was also living with Kyoko like they had in the Isolation Field, something Sayaka couldn't help feeling happy about, not that she would admit that anytime soon.

Mami and Nagisa were also living together, both had lost their memories, but as long as they were happy...

Sayaka shrugged the thought off when she noticed Kyoko stealing her chips, Sayaka batted her hand away half-heartedly, still staring at Madoka.

"You... want to what?" Sayaka finally asked.

Madoka had shrunk into her seat under Sayaka's stare.

"I-I want to make a bucket list..." Madoka mumbled.

Sayaka nodded slowly. "Okay? Why though?"

"Because I'm moving back to America in April." Madoka answered.

"April?! But that's a year away!" Kyoko cried.

Madoka nodded.

"Mama told me this morning," she explained. "Coming here was just meant as a long holiday."

Sayaka eyed a nearby table, where she was met with cold purple eyes, and nodded subtly at Madoka.

"Do you have a list written?" Kyoko asked while Sayaka talked to Homura telepathically.

Madoka nodded and got out a crumpled piece of paper from her pocket, and gave it to the red head.

"Let's see... cherry, creek, cat? These are just random words." Kyoko pointed out.

Madoka nodded with a hesitant smile.

"I thought we could do things that, well..." Madoka trailed off, her smile fading.

"Hey, I get it, you wanna pick a word and we all come up with something that fits, like a game." Kyoko grinned.

"Excuse me, but could we join you?" a voice asked.

The two looked up to see Homura holding a tray, a familiar blonde girl (to Sayaka) stood next to her.

"Sure." Madoka smiled at Homura, then glanced at the blonde. "And whose your friend Homura?"

"I'm Mami Tomoe, a ninth grader; Miss Akemi just came up to me and asked if I wanted some company," Mami explained.

Sayaka shot Homura a surprised look, who just ignored her.

"Pick a side then, I guess." Kyoko invited.

When Mami sat next to her, Kyoko stuck a hand out. "I'm Kyoko Sakura, this is my roommate Sayaka Miki, and that's Madoka Kaname." the red head introduced, nodding to each in turn.

Mami smiled warmly. "It's nice to meet you all."

"So Madoka, more the merrier?" Kyoko asked, waving the pink paper in the air.

Madoka just blushed, staring at her own lunch as Homura sat next to her.