🛹 Reki Kyan: DOPE Sketch 🛹

Start from the beginning

"What subject?"

"Wood-shop, theory and practical." Oka chuckled and held his arm out to me, letting his little fox run across his arm and hop onto my shoulder. She nuzzled into my cheek and I smiled again, a small giggle escaping me. I looked up from the fox and noticed the two high schooler's, finally back at work. "Welcome back, boys!" One of the two became flustered while the other sent me a nervous smile.

"Y-yeah, thanks..."

"Thank you for covering for us." I smiled, thinking nothing of it. I headed to the back room, taking a seat at the desk and setting the forms down, picking up the desk phone and dialling a number.

"Hello! My name is (Y/n) and I work for Dope Sketch, I've got a form telling me that you are wanting a new board?"

"Yeah, how long do you reckon that will take?"

"Most skateshops take up to three months to provide an exceptional, customized board, but here at Dope Sketch we can get it done for you within a week."

"How much will it cost?" I tapped my pen against my lip, grabbing a piece of paper and getting ready to do some maths.

"On average, a custom board can cost somewhere between 9500 Yen, and 53,000 Yen, is that okay?" There was quiet chatter on the other line and a sigh.

"Who customises these boards?" I was quiet for a moment, trying to think of an answer that wouldn't sound too bad.

"Currently in the shop, there are two of us. Either myself or the other designer." More silence.

"Get it done by the end of the week, and I'll pay more for you're hard work and wonderful communication." I sat up straight, knowing this was an ideal sale.

"Of course! Would I be able to go over the design with you just to double check?" The customer hummed in agreement and I became excited, smiling more. "So you're looking for an entirely cuustom board. Grip tape, wheels, base design?"

"Yes. You've got free-reign. The board is for my son's birthday, it needs to be good, he's the Japanese Hopeful-" I stood from my seat with wide eyes, plating one hand on the desk as I held the phone closer to my ear, my chair hitting the floor.

"Right, okay, sure, is there anything particular he likes, or may want incorporated into the design?"

"He likes cats, and purple and green..." I nodded with a hum, jotting it down as I pressed the phone between my ear and shoulder, pulling my chair back up.

"I'll make sure to put that in somehow. Thank you for choosing Dope Sketch."

"Thank you."

I ended the call and stared at the page for a second.
The door to the office opened when I hadn't left in a while. I lifted my head and saw the manager.

"Everything okay?" I nodded, beaming, my cheeks tinted slightly red with excitement.

"We just got a commission for a fully free-reign custom board for the Japanese Hopeful...They said they'd pay extra for the hard work and wonderful communication." Oka smiled and ruffled my hair.

"Get on it, I'll man the office." I smiled brightly and headed into the even further back room, finding the right sized board for this younger teen and beginning on shaping it with a smoothing plane.
It took me awhile until I got the basic shape, quickly switching to sandpaper to smooth it out and make the shape neater.

The end of the day rolled around and the two high schoolers walked in just as I was sketching on the top of the board where the grip-tape would go and in what design. I looked up at the sound of a voice.