“Damn you!” he exclaimed at her.

“Sorry, napa-aga. Masakit ba? Buti nga sa’yo! Huwag mo kasi akong sinasagad, may jet lag pa ako.” she said and. “But thank you anyway. That slap feels so good. Kung dati, ang sarap mong mahalin; ngayon, ang sarap mo na lang sampalin.”

In a blink of his eyes, she disappeared from his sight. Tanging ang pagsara na lang ng pinto ang narinig niya na siyang nakapagpamura kay Aga. He attempted to follow her inside Aya’s room but Dawn stopped him, “Give that to her, Aga. Ngayon niya lang ulit makikita ‘yung anak niyo. Hayaan mo muna silang mag-ina.” she told him.

“No way! She cannot just show up here and do whatever she wants to do with my daughter! She’s not allowed to see her, she’s not allowed to touch her! I don’t even know how did she know we’re here!” he ranted and tried opening the door but failed as it was locked. “Damn you, Lea! Open this fucking door!” he bellowed which caught some of the people’s attention.

“Aga, calm down! Do not make a scene here!”

“I am not making a scene, Dawn, that woman is!” he exclaimed once more. “You know what? I’m gonna call the security to drag her out of here.”

“Stop it!” Dawn said with her teeth gritting. “It was me! I called Lea and told her everything she needs to know about her daughter!” she revealed.

“W-What?!” was the only thing he can utter in disbelief.

“Yes, I called Lea to inform her what is happening to her daughter! Can’t you still see it, Aga? Lea needs her daughter as much as Aya needs her Mom, especially in times like this! Your daughter’s life is at stake here and you still act that way?!”

“H-How could you do that to me, Dawn?! Anong karapatan mong makialam sa buhay namin ng anak ko?!”

“Because I care and love Aya enough to put her welfare first before anything and anyone else!” Dawn slapped him with that remark. “Stop being so selfish, Aga. Unahin mo naman ‘yung kung anong tama para sa anak mo, hindi ‘yung kung anong tingin mong tama para sa sarili mo. Because I won’t let your ego and pride kill my niece!”

_______

Lea propped against the door after she locked it when she suddenly felt her knees slowly turning into a jelly. All the strengths she had earlier in facing Aga and managing the situation instantly faded upon seeing her daughter peacefully sleeping in her hospital bed. She stared at Aya from there and her eyes automatically well up. She’s finally here, in the same room as her— something that she once thought would already be impossible.

It’s her daughter right there.

She slowly made her way to her and took a closer look at her. She cannot help but to notice the bruises in her arms and her pale skin. Her doctor had already explained everything to her and she feels awful that her daughter has to go through this situation. She feels awful that this is how she would see Aya again.

Her hand were trembling as she gently caressed her cheek, careful not to wake her up. She silently sobbed as she stared at her like how she used to do with her pictures, only that this time, she’s no longer a mere photograph. She is real and tangible. She felt something died inside her as she held Aya’s face— all the waiting and longing that made her suffer for so many years finally dies today. And it feels so good.

“I miss you, anak... Mommy misses you so much.” she whispered to her and kissed her hair. She badly wanted to hug her real tight but she didn’t want to wake her up from her slumber so she’ll just wait until she’s awake.

Aya suddenly moved and turned her body to the side where Lea is standing. Unknowingly, she was able to reach for her Mom’s hand and lightly held it. This made Lea chuckle softly. It seems like even at her nescience, she knows she’s already beside her and doesn’t want to let her go anymore.