He wondered how many years had passed. The souls of Xingchen and Maiden Qin are still fragmented, yet they are much better than before. He returned to pray. He once wanted to apologize; it wasn't your fault, but he reflected repeatedly. If Xingchen was happy when he returned, would that be enough?

He kept praying, imagining Xingchen happy, at peace, in a place full of love. He deserved a good life after so much tragedy.

He often left his meditation to save farmers, travelers, refugees, older people, young women, and men. He never saw any celestial creature, but he never lost hope. 

He saw good things and bad things, yet nothing prepared him for the horrors to come.

It was a massive disruption of energy this time. He woke without understanding why the land was in so much pain and how it was possible.

He hesitated. He promised to roam the world and fight evil, but the precious souls inside the pouch were almost recovered. Xingchen would always protect the weak and fight corruption. So he once again left the cave. He abandoned his hideout, leaving the precious pouch behind. He wandered outside to find out what danger was approaching.

There were dragons in the faraway sky.

The dragons have returned, and they are destroying everything.

As he approached, he realized that those things weren't dragons. First, they didn't breathe fire, ice, or thunder. Instead, they threw things that exploded when they touched the soil. Second, they didn't look like serpents. Although they have wings and no scales, their surface is primarily metallic.

Could it be something made by humans?

Yet, the land was screaming. He saw ruined buildings, corpses, and fires everywhere as he approached. People in uniform tried to guide the others into caves and warehouses, but too many of those things were flying around.

The baby's cry in a destroyed house took him out of his confused daze. He went to the rescue, but he was too late, and the building collapsed with him inside.

In the dark, he tried to free himself but couldn't move any longer. 

He couldn't feel his body any longer.

He didn't know how long he had passed inside the debris when he heard a voice. 

"You look terrible. I am afraid that your body cannot be repaired."

He tried to look at the one speaking to him but couldn't move his neck because he had none anymore.

"I am sorry. I am not strong enough to repair your body, but I can help you enter the reincarnation wheel."

As if reading his mind, the individual said, "I am an immortal of this land, and I have been observing you for a long time. So forgive me for not joining you, but you seemed to be.... occupied."

"I need to return to them."

"You can't anymore."

"What happened?"

"War"

He fell silent. The immortal's face was very kind, his eyes full of compassion. His warm smile gave him some comfort, yet the fact was that he could not protect the soul pouch anymore. 

"Could you protect them in my place?"

"I might not be able to return to the caves. This place has corrupted my body, too. I will try, but I might need to enter the world soon. This era is different."

"Could you help me with something then?"

 "What?"

"I would like to return with my full memories."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes"

"It might be possible to grant you that. Goodbye"

The last thing Song Lan saw was a bunny tooth smile, but his previous thoughts were directed to the man who gave him his eyes. How much he wronged him due to his grief. 

"Forgive me, Xingchen. I love you. I wish you to be happy." Those were the last thoughts of Song Lan, courtesy name Song Zichen.

Although the stone bridges were a popular attraction, sometimes kids get lost. However, this kid wasn't lost. He knew precisely what peak to climb and how to enter the sealed cave.

Yet, the cave was no longer a place of energy.

And the pouch was almost empty.

"I failed to save you, Xiao Xingchen.

Forgive me"

and the world becomes dark once again.

----

A second part will soon follow this chapter.

Mo Dao Zu Shi heavily depicts the personal toll of war on young people and the role of love in redemption and healing. 

War was bound to appear in this tale of love, sacrifice, and redemption. 

 The next arc will be about Wei Ying and why he might separate from Lan Zhan. The clues are in the previous chapters; some might have already pieced the puzzle together, but I hope you like it.