Kahli eventually got her hands on a small engine in an abandoned room in the ruins, and she retired wearily to her home for the evening.

In the morning, she went into town as she often did, sitting at the bar at the Round Table as Django opened up for the day. She had come to enjoy her morning routine: a couple cups of coffee with breakfast, listening to Django and Sonia chat and laugh as they readied the restaurant. They seemed the perfect team, always with smiles on their faces, and their presence always put Kahli in a good mood. She had never been much of a morning person, but their cheerful attitudes helped her adapt to her new lifestyle.

"So, how's life as a builder treating you?" Sonia said, taking the seat next to her with a cup of coffee in her hands. She sipped it and rolled her eyes when Django made a comment about his lazy help.

"I lost count how many times I smashed my thumb, but so far, the bridge hasn't collapsed, so I guess I'm doing something right."

Sonia laughed. "Higgins giving you any trouble?"

Kahli shrugged. "Not really. He made a great first impression, but I haven't really seen him since."

"Count yourself lucky," Django said as he walked behid the counter. "He's brutal when it comes to business. Doesn't make anything easy for anyone else trying to make a living around here."

"Well," Kahli started. "In his defense, I kind of did come onto his turf."

"Nonsense," Django said. "You're not the only one to come to Portia seeking something better. Plenty of people here from other parts of the world. Mayor Gale makes sure to see to it that everyone feels welcome here."

"You know," Sonia said. "It gets pretty lively here at nights. You should come hang out and keep me company. Antoine and Emily usually do, but we could use a forth gal." She grinned. "And to be honest, I'm getting tired of Antoine talking about Dr. Xu all the time."

Kahli yawned. "I'm just getting used to mornings. Now I need to have a social life after I've been working all day?"

Django laughed. "Sonia, let the poor girl sleep. She's not used to all this hard work."

Kahli narrowed her eyes at him. "I'm not sure how to take that."

Django raised his hands up in defense. "I only mean to defend you. You were never a builder before now. It's hard work that not everyone would understand. I don't blame ya for hurrying home to bed every night. I'm trying to give you an out, yanno." He winked at her.

"Nights are more my style," Kahli said. "I don't expect to be working too hard today. I'll come by for a couple of drinks."

Sonia grinned. "Excellent! It will be fun, promise!"

*****

The irrigation system took Kahli most of the day, but it wasn't physically demanding work. She welded a few pieces together here, connected a few parts together there, and with the engine in place, the system was ready to be set up at the tree farm. All things considered, that would be the most difficult part, requiring Kahli to set up the water wheel at the lake, then connect the pipes back to the farm where it would hook up with the sprinklers she placed. It would take at least another day's work, but it could wait until tomorrow.

It was the first time Kahli found herself in town after dark, and Sonia was right. It seemed most of the town was at the restaurant, sharing in meals and laughter after a hard day's work. As soon as Kahli entered, she found Emily and Antoine at the bar, and Emily eagerly waved her over to them.

"Look who made it," Emily said. She slid down a seat to make room for Kahli between them. "And here I thought you would ditch us to go to bed like an old lady."