One

The morning sun came and shone it's light down on the room, illuminating everything in its path. It awoke N'ijah, still naked and dazed from the night before. Her man was at the edge of the bed, putting on his shoes quietly.

She draped herself over him, wrapping her arms around his large torso. He leaned into her embrace, and N'ijah inhaled his cinnamon-y scent. He felt warm, and smelt like it too.

"Morning." She smiled, kissing his cheek.  N'ijah pressed her chest onto his back, and pulled him back onto the bed. "Stay." She pouted as he got back up. Kissing her, even with her morning breath, he pulled back and grabbed his jacket from the chair nearest to the bed.

"I have to work, bugga. I'll see you later." Fixing his watch, he left the room, leaving her all alone in this big ass house.

. . .

After she finished with her morning routine, she pulled on an old shirt she had and some sweats and headed to the gym, wanting to work off some of the weight she had gained recently. Pulling her coily hair into a low bun and grabbing her keys from the book, N'ijah was off.

The gym wasn't far from the house they shared, and in less than five minutes she was working her ass off. Men came around to stare; it usually happened everytime she came to work out. They never actually talked to her though; they were too scared of her husband.

Jamari Ellison's one of the most influential and successful men, and lucky her, N'ijah got to be his wife. They were high school sweethearts that lasted all through out college, and grad school, and through all the ups and downs. Like when N'ijah found out she had thrombophilias that caused miscarriage, after she had a miscarriage.

They worked through every problem they had, and always kept their private life private. Their families loved each other, always wanting to have get togethers or parties. Essentially, they were the perfect combination. A power couple. A relationship that everyone wanted, and what people lived their whole lives trying to find.

Recently, though, the pressure for a baby had been high, from both their families. They knew of N'ijah's condition, but were certain that N'ijah could push through. She had, as they said, stuck with a hard headed person like Jamari. They'd both laugh it off, but she knew he wanted a child. Someone of his blood to pass on everything too, and she felt so bad that she couldn't give that to him.

Letting the bad thoughts overtake her was a fault of hers, and it happened often. Most of the time, it was daydreams and happy thoughts. Other times, her anxiety took the best of her and shrouded her from the world. Jamari always comforted her and was there for her, no matter how big or small it would be.

N'ijah was getting too in over her head now, and she stopped what she was doing before she passed out.

"That's enough for today." She mumbled to herself, and grabbed her water bottle off the ground.

Walking out the building, her phone was ringing rapidly, and she quickly answered it.

"Hey boo." Her sister's, Niya's, voice came floating out of the phone, very excitedly.

"What's up? You seem happy." She said as she got into her car and started the ignition.

"I'm pregnant!" The other woman announced. Her and her husband of 8 years, Andreas, had 2 children already, and this would be their third.

"I'm so happy for you. I'm gonna have a new niece or nephew. This time, you have to let me be god mother. The law requires it." She giggled. N'ijah would always be happy for her sister, even if she harbored a little bit of jealousy towards her for being so fertile.

They talked for a while, until a commotion on the street took her focus from their conversation to the growing number of people around the scene.

"I'll call you back, Ny. Love you." N'ijah said to her, then hung up the call. Parking her car quickly, she got out and went to see what was going on.

"Is she dead?" A person asked.

"She still has a pulse idiot. She just needs a medical expert." Someone replied.

"I'll take her." She spoke up, shocking the two men in front of me. Without a word, N'ijah swept the girl up and set her down in her car, and drove her to the nearest hospital.

***

"How is she?" N'ijah asked the nearest nurse that came by. It had been 8 hours, and she was worried sick about the girl, even know they didn't know each other. She couldn't prevent in the first time, but she'll at least try now.

"Ma'am, she's been doing good. The patient has a skull fracture and her left leg is broken, along with all the bruises on her face and arms, but she'll be ok. We just need to keep her overnight for observation, but we can promise you that she'll pull through." The nurse said. A wave of relief washed over N'ijah, and she could've kissed the nurse right then and there.

After thanking her, the nurse led N'ijah to her room and left, presumably to tend to other patients.

The woman was laying back, just watching the TV in her room when N'ijah came in.

"Hi." She said softly, not wanting to disturb her peace.

"Hello. So what I gather is, you're the one who saved me?" She asked, and N'ijah nodded.

"Thank you. I could never repay you for the kindness you showed me. You saved my life."

"It was nothing. You needed help, so I got you some. No big deal. Now, who are you? And why were you hurt?"

"Well," The woman sighed heavily. "I'm Desiré Richards. I'm 26, and I'm very newly single. My ex-boyfriend was...possessive, to say the least. He wanted to know where I was at all times, who I was hanging out with, why I was hanging out with them. He wanted to control every aspect of my life, and I let him. Then, I found out he was cheating." Tears formed in Desiré's eyes as she was talking, and N'ijah's heart was broken for her.

"We started to fight more often, and these times, it got physical. I broke it off many times, but he would always beg me to come back, and I was so naive. I'd always go back, and the cycle would start again. Until a few weeks ago. I broke it off for real, and he thought I was joking. So he came and I rejected him. He started following me, and begged my friends to tell him where I was staying. Even though they didn't tell him, he found out. I don't know how, but he did. He came to me last night. And the rest, I don't remember. If I ended up bad that a stranger had to save me, I must've been knocked out for good." Desiré's voice cracked as she forced the words out of her mouth.

She turned over, and N'ijah could figure out that she wouldn't talk anymore. Who would blame her? So then and there, N'ijah made a promise.

I'll try and help this girl, no matter what.

•••

Hey y'all 😌
I'm backkkkkkk
What y'all thinking??
Y'all rocking wit the shits ⁉
N'ijah?
Jamari?
Niya?
Desiré?
So far, favorite character?
What y'all think gon happen next??

Please vote, comment, and share with some Wattpad friends!
Xoxo, Baddie 💖