ghost

he just came into my life one day.

he was always like that, for some reason.

no one knew why.

mainly because no one ever saw him.

"hey," george asked me one day, "do you remember how we met?" his voice was soft. always was. "because i want you to tell me again." i sighed. he's told me before that the way we met makes him happy. "you want me to tell you with... details and everything?" i turned to him. i looked at his pale green eyes. he was so... dull. a faint silhouette. when his eyes met mine, he looked away quickly. "yeah." he whispered. i closed my eyes to relive the memory. "alright."

it was a cold day, even for september. i was in bed. having a panic attack. i don't remember why. probably school. or my mom. or both. i was shaking really bad. i remember hearing the door creak open.

"hello?" a new voice said. it was soft. very quiet. i peeked one of my eyes open. blurry from the tears. in my doorway was a tall, dull, and slightly transparent figure. it looked around, confused. i opened my eyes wider and got up to back myself against the bed frame. "where am i?" it asked quietly. was that a british accent? eventually it locked eyes with me.

it noticed the tear stains on my face i guess, because next it said, "are you alright?" i hesitated, and then finally nodded. "what are you?" i asked shakily. it ignored the question. "are you really alright? you don't look okay." it got closer to me, sitting on the bed. i looked at the figure again. pale. tall. slightly transparent. what is it? or who is it? "uh, yeah, i, uh, i- i just had a panic attack." i said quietly. it looked at me. no emotion, really. none that was visible anyways.

"do you need anything?" it finally asked. i thought for a moment. what the fuck is it? it's a human... right? but it's transparent? "i, uh... not really, just who are you?" i asked quietly. it looked away and sighed.

"i'm uh, i'm a spirit. my name is george."

the spirit named george now said. my eyes widened a bit. i was speechless. a spirit? how? "how are you even... how... a spirit?" i stammered. george met my eyes again. i noticed they were green. but they were dull. although, his whole body was dull.

"yeah, i, uh," he cleared his throat, "got into an accident a few years ago... i don't remember it. all i remember is waking up in a dark place like..." he looked down at the transparency of his body, "this."

i never mentioned his clothing. he was wearing a blue-ish purple long sleeve shirt. it had bears on it. cute. he had tan-ish plaid pants. good fashion sense.

"oh, i'm... i'm sorry," i said, "but why are you here?" he parted his lips like he was going to say something. but he didn't. after a second he shrugged. "i don't know how i got here. i kinda... sensed you were having a panic attack, though," he swallowed, "i wanted to make sure you were okay."

it was silent for a moment. i sighed. "thank you."

i began to learn he would never leave my side. i'm not sure if he wanted to stay or if he had no choice. he never told me. we became friends... quite quickly. there are still so many things i don't know about him, though.

"how do you see the world? like... what colors?" i asked him one evening after school. "it's kinda like i'm colorblind. i only really see blue, black, and white." he said. sad. he'll never see every other color. "it's also blurry. if i focus on a thing for a while the blur goes away... but usually, it's always there." he added. "that sucks. i'm sorry." i look away from him. "it's alright."

it was hard to make him smile. it was beautiful when he did, though. "hey, george?" i came up to him. he was playing with one of the marbles on my desk. the blue one. "hm?" he looked up at me. god, his eyes. they had no right being that pretty. "how long do you think you'll stay?" i said it more quietly because to be honest, i was fearful of him leaving. i didn't want him to leave. i felt attached to him. "there's no telling. all i know is that i like it here and i'll stay for a while." he smiled slightly. close mouthed.