"All I know is that Phillip broke up with me after Léon called him. I have no idea where they went after that," he lied. "It was... on Thursday? Friday, maybe?"

"What the stinky fuck." Her eyebrows knit together. "I told Léon a thousand times he and Phillip can't be around each other. I don't fucking care how long it was they dated, they're toxic in the worst way possible when they're together. Phillip acts like a puma on catnip whenever he sees Léon, and Léon likes it." She faced Rio, raising her hands as if weighing her words. "He's not conscious about it, I'm sure. He's not obnoxious or anything—but he likes it. He likes to have his ego caressed like that, the little fuck." She grunted and pushed her back from the car. "I mean, I love him, but sometimes...." She trailed off.

Rio didn't know what to say to all that, so he just blinked a few times, trying to fight the annoying blur threatening to cover his eyes. Was that a tear?

Nah, impossible.

Something bitter swelled inside Rio's chest. His voice came out a lot stronger than he intended when he said, "If Léon did this unconsciously, why the hell did he decide to drag Phillip around? When Phil was doing so well, too. I can't believe he'd just throw everything aside to...!" He growled. "Léon asked him to get him at the pen when he was released. He could've called a cab. He could've called your father. He could've called me. If that's not intentional, I don't know what the fuck it is!"

A spell of silence fell over them. Rio felt Satina's eyes on him, jumping up and down as if trying to find a positive note to end that conversation with. Rio's heart beat hard in his chest—hard and sour. He looked at his fingers and found them fidgeting with the hem of his shirt, so he stepped backward and locked his hands between his NAV and his back. He looked aside, his cheeks hot and reddening.

Positive note? Rio didn't think that was possible.

"Okay." Satina's voice was hard and cold. "You and Phil clearly have things to talk through."

Rio furrowed his brows. "No, we don't. We don't have anything."

Satina let out a sigh and massaged her forehead. "Yeah, well." She shook her head. "I should go." She didn't move. "I..." Satina clicked her tongue and inhaled. "Listen, don't... think about it too much, all right?"

Rio scoffed. Then, he nodded.

What else should he do?

"And don't... shit, this is gonna sound so fucked up." She steeled her voice. "Don't hate my cousin. He'd never try to sabotage you and Phillip's relationship like that. And he'd never try to drag Phillip down. He's... he's confused. They both are."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Just being. You don't know him as I do."

"I don't know him at all," Rio snapped back. The words stuck in his throat. What the hell, Gregorio? "That's... that's what I've been feeling lately," he rushed to add.

Satina's hand rested on his shoulder again—a lot heavier this time. "Take care."

***

The plasmetallic door slammed close at his back once he stepped into the lab.

"Look who's back." Sissy got up from her chair, hands on her waist. "Why did you ignore my calls, huh? You won't believe who's coming here. Did you bring the report I asked for? Rio? Rio, stop." She gripped his arm and he balked at her side.

He controlled his trembly lips and looked up, his expression properly schooled.

Sissy looked worried. "What happened?"

Rio managed a tiny smile and placed a hand over hers. Gently, he pushed her hand away. "Nothing. The report is in your inbox." Rio sat down and huffed.

"Is this"—she gestured at him, head to toe—"related to our research? Will your problem impact our work in any way?"

He clicked his tongue. You dummkopf. "No, Sissy."

"Good." Her voice softened and she leaned forward, caressing Rio's cheek like his mother once did, a long time ago. "Listen, Rio. If you need someone to talk to, know that I'm here. All right?"

He nodded. "Thank you, Sissy." Rio smiled as she stepped back and sat again at her computer.

It was late afternoon already and the underground lab was starting to grow cold. On the upper floors, the emergencies multiplied with the arrival of the first NAV accidents of the day.

"What's the emergency? Why did you ask me to come back?" Rio checked his phone. "Our airNAV leaves in two hours; we don't have time for this."

Sissy took in a deep breath. Before she could say anything, the lab door swung in. An occupied hospital bed was wheeled inside, pushed by a young woman who looked no older than thirty.

"Silvana, Gregorio," she greeted. The woman adjusted her thick glasses and gave them a wide smile. "I'm glad you found the time to meet me before you traveled back to OC." She pushed the hospital bed past them and towards the testing chambers to their right. "I need you two to see something."

"Jackal!" Rio said, half in a greeting, half in surprise. She shouldn't be here; it was too dangerous! "Jackal, if someone catches you—"

She chuckled. Her wavy brown hair bobbed when she used the hospital bed to push the heavy entrance to the testing chambers. "I made sure to come myself so not even my servants would know about my little field trip."

Sissy clicked her tongue. "By servants do you mean the police officers your father selected to keep an eye on you?"

Jackal smirked, raising her eyebrows as if the answer was obvious.

Rio pursed his lips and followed them. Loud clacks echoed in the empty, mold-scented room when Jackal turned the lights on.

"Jackal," Rio said, "you know it's dangerous. Your father barely managed to get you out last time. His money is not infinite."

"My father can worry about his own finances, it doesn't concern me. Besides, no one will find me, my little pessimist!"

"I'm not being a pessimist, boss. If someone finds you here... Jackal, please."

Jackal ignored him. She wheeled the bed to the center of the room and fished for a syringe in her white apron. CTS-AV15 was written in the transparent tube. "Close the door," she ordered.

Sissy stepped into the chamber and obeyed. "Connie, please listen to the kid. I've read the reports, and I know how much noise the subject makes when injected—this can bring us unwanted attention."

Jackal walked to the unconscious man and uncovered his arm, searching for a vein.

Rio held her wrist. "Constance!"

Jackal smiled. She pulled her wrist free and focused two very-blue eyes on Rio. "Cae told me there were two police officers sniffing around his camp in Senibetama last night." Her voice hardened. "Coincidently or not, you told me some of your marks are in OC and that they might negatively impact your research." She narrowed her gaze. "The fate of my whole family depends on this, Gregorio. I can't leave anything to chance." As an afterthought, she added in a playful voice, "And the next time you call me Constance I'll punch your mouth, kiddo."

As she chuckled, something cold swirled in Rio's stomach.

"Jackal... we'd never betray you."

"Oh!" She laughed. "That's not what I'm worried about, Gregorio. You're in too deep to betray me now." Jackal shrugged. "I just want you both to see what happens when a living human takes the antidote you created." She gestured at the man lying on the hospital bed. Her smile soured and something wicked filled her eyes. "Because if you do, you might find yet another reason to"—her voice hardened—"stop making me lose my goddamn time."

She took in a deep breath and looked at the syringe in her hands. "I suggest you prepare your stomachs. And find a raincoat, perhaps." Jackal checked her wristwatch. "We're starting the test for our fifteenth dose of the antidote in three... two... one."

Wild Tiger Chase | Book #2 (Complete)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें