Chapter Forty-Five: Your attempt at killing me is failing

*Macy's POV*

The thing about my shotgun plan was that it wasn't really a plan, and if my plan were a shotgun, I would be shooting empty shells. Meaning, I didn't really think it through beforehand, and I probably should have considered the fact that first, he had no idea who I was, and secondly, tackling him probably wasn't the smartest thing to do when someone was in enemy territory.

But whatever.

We rolled a couple of times, long enough for me to know I caught him off guard and long enough for me to realize that he was, in fact, not a happy camper.

We ended with me flailed on the ground and him standing over me, jaws unhinged and ready to bite off my face.

I think it was around that time when I thought this probably wasn't going to end well.

'DON'T DO IT ITS MACY STOP!' I screamed it to him, well, mentally anyways. I guess it didn't go through fast enough because suddenly his face came down to take a chunk out of my neck, and I was damn lucky that I was able to dodge it. Barely though.

'STOP STOP STOP STOP.' Maybe my panic wasn't helping but I didn't think it went through again, because he was poised to attack, until at the last second he paused. Maybe it was my high-pitched whines that caught his attention, but whatever it was, thank god it worked.

I attempted a grin, and he titled his head slightly, then sniffed.

'If this wasn't potentially life saving, I would be completely creeped out by you sniffing me like kibble,' I say.

'Macy? What the hell is going on?' Carter finally replied. I let out a breath of relief.

'Well, currently, your attempt at killing me is failing,' I say, 'and I'd appreciate it if you let me up.'

He jumped back quickly. His head was still tilted as he looked at me, and I know he was trying to figure out if this was a ruse or not. I want to roll my eyes.

'Yea yea, I get it; strangely wolfy for someone who was human like two days ago. Don't remind me.'

He shakes his head and takes another step back.

'At least the name "Shrimp" still stands,' he says, and I could picture him smirking like he always does.

'I AM OF AVERAGE HEIGHT YOU FREAK GIANT.'

If animals could laugh, I'm sure the noise Carter just made would be what it sounds like.

Suddenly I feel a presence behind me, and Carter gets into the defensive again, hackles raised. I turn my head to the side only to find Waylon, Alan, and reluctantly, Neil, standing behind me, not nearly as defensive as Carter.

'Chill, they're my prison break buddies,' I say. And before he can reply I ask 'Where's Cayton?'

He looks around, shakes his head, and then, as if suddenly remembering something, looks at me with both panic and anger in his eyes.

'Where's Bethany?'

While I was definitely worried about Cayton and where he was, I knew that he was probably in a lot less danger than Bethany.

'Follow us.'

*Bethany's POV*

My last thought was to Carter, even though I knew it wouldn't reach him. It was a simple I love you, but if he were here, that's all we would need.

But he wasn't here, and I had no way to tell him.

Roy's nails dug deeper into my skin, but even then I couldn't cry. The pain was intense; the realization that this could be my last day even more so, but I still couldn't cry.