Three

When we entered the bar, my expectation had exceeded to full capacity. Since it was a Friday night, I knew the place would be packed. I wasn't comfortable with places like this because one, it has a lot of people in it and two, alcohol was the main consumption. I might have worked here once upon a time, but the situation was different now. I no longer worked here. Though I had been here with Terry and Andrew before, I was single then. Now, I was dating a famous bachelor, who the public knew should be single.

I headed directly to the bar counter, my face looking relaxed as the bartender approached me.

"Jack! How are you?" I greeted aloud as I tried to talk over the loud music which was louder than the last time I was here.

"I'm fine. How about you? How was the new job?" he asked.

"It was better than I expected it to be. I should introduce you to one of my workmates. She made it better for me," I replied with a hint of a smile in reference to Sydney.

"Sure. Bring her here and maybe some of her friends." He nodded and gave me a small smile, which was the most I could get from him since we were surrounded by a lot of people. He wasn't an expressive man.

I shook my head in disbelief at his words and glanced beside me as I felt someone place a hand on my waist. Even though it wasn't the first time he'd done it, I'm still uncomfortable being intimate in public whenever his hand touched me. It had always made my heart jump out of my chest when he was close.

"Mr. Maxwell. Good evening. Do you want anything to drink?" Jack turned to William after he gave me another small smile.

"Good evening too, Jack. Whiskey would be fine," William replied, his voice barely audible with the loud music in the room.

Jack nodded before heading out to get our drinks. I turned towards William, studying his calm expression. I thought that he was going to refuse Terry's offer, he had told me he would stay for at least an hour. And the hour had passed a few minutes ago.

"Aren't you going to head back? You have work tomorrow," I asked, trying to sound disinterested of his current presence.

"I can't leave you here without a ride home," he replied sternly. His answer was no way close to the question I asked.

I raised an eyebrow in question. I was about to try again, but I was interrupted when Jack came back with our drink. William took his glass and drank it down like water. I stared at him and tried to understand his actions. With his eyebrow scrunched, he looked a little pissed or annoyed.

I shook my head at his sudden lack of interest to be in a good mood. I turned my attention to my drink and lightly took a sip before drinking a huge gulp. I studied the crowd in front of me and then turned to the table where Terry, Andrew, and his friends were laughing and drinking. I watched my friend for a moment, feeling like he wasn't himself. There were moments when the smile on his face cracked, but he was able to smile again whenever Andrew looked back at him.

"How long are you going to stay?" William asked beside me, breaking my trance as I placed my drink down.

I looked back at him wearily. "I thought you wanted to come here. Why the sudden change of attitude?" I asked grimly, not really feeling the mood anymore. Why was he so grumpy all of a sudden?

He was about to reply but shut his mouth as he turned his glare on someone behind me. I noticed him clench his jaw while his eyes narrowed.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked in alarm. I was about to turn around and see what made him react that way, but he surprised me by pulling me towards him.