Nine

"Are you okay, Peanut?" Dad interrupted my trail of thoughts, bringing me back to the present.

I looked up at him as he sat down beside me. "Terry told me something," I whispered in reply. I knew he was close enough to hear my words clearly. "He quit his job at the restaurant."

"Ah, that. I thought he wouldn't tell you about it until he gets a new job," he gave me a weary smile as he caressed my arm.

I snapped my head towards him, surprised by his admission. "You knew? Since when?"

"He comes here often while you are at work. I wanted to tell you, but he doesn't want to stress you out. It wasn't my place to tell," he replied sheepishly, looking guilty for hiding this fact from me.

I pursed my lips to mask my displeasure. I couldn't scold him for it since I had my fair share of lying to him. He was only doing it on Terry's behalf. With a defeated sigh, I allowed the topic to drop as we watched an episode of a night sitcom before going to sleep.

~~~~

The next day, I felt detached to my surroundings and allowed my alarm to beep continuously in the background. I stared at the white ceiling in my bedroom, a little lost in my thoughts. Memories from last night kept flashing on my head, the short moment with William in his car bringing back a blush on my face.

I just laid there thinking for who knows how long until I felt my phone vibrate on my bedside table. I painstakingly reached out and grabbed it, eyeing the caller I.D. on the screen. My eyes grew wide as I read the name. I quickly clicked the answer button and placed the phone on my ear.

"Hello," I greeted, my voice thick from sleep.

"Good morning. Did I wake you up?" William asked, his voice sounding distant and calm.

"No. I'm already awake before you called. Is there something you want?" I asked, a little flustered at his sudden morning call.

"Are you done getting ready for work? It already past seven," he asked, ignoring my question discreetly.

He successfully got my attention. I animatedly jumped out of my bed and pulled the phone away from my ear, eying the time at the upper right side of my phone. I hissed and frantically skipped towards the bathroom for a quick shower.

I pressed the phone back to my ear while I balanced on one leg to take off my pajama bottom. "Got to go. I'll call you back when I get to work." Before he could reply, I quickly ended the call and placed my phone on my sink counter.

Half an hour later, I was already out of my apartment. My hair is slightly wet because I hardly had any time to blow-dry it. With peanut butter and jelly sandwich on my mouth, I half ran down the flight of stairs. When I got outside the apartment, I took a moment to catch my breath and take another bite of the sandwich.

"That looks delicious. Can I have a bite?" I looked up at the familiar voice in front of me. I gaped as I watched him leaning comfortably on his black SUV.

"What are you doing here?" I asked after I shoved the rest of my breakfast into my mouth.

"I'm here to give you a ride to work," he replied confidently as he stopped in front of me. "I knew you would need a ride," he added with a smirk as he reached out to tuck a stray hair behind my right ear.

I shook my head in disbelief as I felt my cheeks react to his touch. "Well, you are in luck since I do need that ride. The tide is in your favor today."

"I expected as much when you answered," he said, grinning smugly.

I smiled back in reply before I walked towards the car. The passenger door was already opened, with Mark by the door holding it for me. I looked up towards him, nodding my head in greeting.