Smile...Tell Me Your Secret

ENJOY =D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First day of the new semester and I just had to take Photography. I just had to get it last period. And he just had to have that class too. Come on out of the hundreds of students that go to this school I get stuck in a class with him. And out of the other twenty four people in this class I get stuck at his table! Come on what is this? The universe giving me the middle finger that's what this is. A big SCREW YOU Tara! I guess that's what I get for hoping to get an easy A. 

I mean I took an art class. ART! And not a drawing, painting or sculpting class you know something that requires some form of talent. I took Photography. Point and shoot, how hard could that be? I remember thinking those exact words when I filled out my class roster. But I guess I wasn't the only one with that thought. And nothing's going to be easy when he's here. Who is this guy? He's the guy I’ve been dreading for the past year and a half. My neighbor Dominic Matheson. 

Macarthur’s own golden boy; he and his cheerleader trophy sit nice and tall here. He's the lacrosse team captain-they're three time state champs-and he was MVP all three times. And boy! Does he not let people forget. Lacrosse is really the only sport that matters our football team well their record is lack putting it nicely. Soccer goes to the girls; the guys aren't bad it's just not all that popular out here. Volleyball is just an excuse for the guys to watch girls running around in spandex. The rest of the teams are just average, Lacrosse is where it's at if your into sports. Quite frankly I stopped going to all sports games except the ones my best friend Shelley begs and pleads til it's unbearable, even then I’m only going to cheer her on. She plays volleyball. I used to go to every game but that was before. 

I didn't hate Dom, we used to be cool. Not exactly friends but not exactly not either. I mean if you've known someone for over a decade and your parents are friends you're more then acquaintances. But that was before Dom outed me to the entire school. The ENTIRE school! It's not like I'm ashamed of being gay. I just don't feel that the whole school should know my business. I don't care if he was drunk, I don't care if he was at a party, I don't care if he was possessed by the devil. You don't do that to someone. Not someone who’s done nothing wrong to you her entire life. It's been a year and half. There's been new scandals, so I don't really care...except that's a lie. It's true the looks and whispers have stopped. For the most part it's blown over, I get the occasional asshole who feels doing something to the local lesbian will make him cool. But that's not what bothers me. I still don't know why. Why would he do that to me? Our parents are friends; we've known each other since we were five. What could I have done to him that made him do that? And I've done everything I can in the past year and a half not to get those answers. I didn't want them. I don't want to face him. 

Here I am in photography, having to share the same table with him. What type of Art teacher picks Alphabetic order for their seating chart anyway? It's not very creative or easy going. The tardy bell rang, the teacher rose from his chair getting people in from the halls. Dom walks in with his friend Scott, and a few other seniors laughing, the teacher closed the door. He was a relatively short for a guy maybe 5'7. He has untamed dark hair, and black rimmed glasses that fell on the bridge of his nose. I heard some people say what I was thinking. Pushover. 

"Alright take your seats. The seating chart is up front if you need to see it. My name is Mr. Appel. I'll be passing out a simple survey fill it out with your neighbor, or by yourself. However you feel comfortable." he picked up a stack of papers, and made his way around the room. When he got to my table I said "excuse me Mr. Appel?" 

"Yes?" 

"Is it possible for me to change my seat? I-uh-don't-um-have a partner." I asked trying not to look at Dom, who was talking with Scott at the table next to him. That last part was true I didn't have someone sitting next to me. And I thought it'd give me more of an actual excuse. 

"I’m sorry if I let you sit with your friends then everyone will want to, and then it really would be chaos. Just fill out the survey yourself, or ask one of your neighbors. I’m sure you'll make friends at your table. You guys will be able to pick your own seats in about a month or two. It’s just until I get to know everyone." he gave a smile and a shoulder pat before finishing his original task. Great! Two months. One if I’m lucky, but I couldn't blame him, he didn't know. 

I took a pencil out of my bag and started filling out the questionnaire. The first questions were standard first day of new class questions. Then came the actual questions related to this class. Why did you choose this class? What type of Photography are you interested in? Name as many photographers as you can. Describe in detail your favorite photograph (it doesn't have to be from a professional) and tell how it makes you feel. 

So I followed Shelley's motto "when in doubt just BS it" and I filled in all the answers I could. I answered that last one truthfully because I did have a favorite picture. It's from a postcard I got when I stayed at my grandparents cabin in Colorado Rockies. It's of an up close pine tree that has ice crystals frozen on it. People can't be encased in ice and still live...but a tree can and I like that. 

"Ten minutes," Mr. Appel said "And then we're going to share." He said it with the oddest enthusiasm. 

There was a small tapping on the door. He went to open it. 

"Is this photography?" a voice said. I couldn't see who was talking because Mr. Appel was in my way. 

"Yes. Who are you?" 

"Oh my name's Elizabeth-Marie Schaffer. I'm new and I got lost finding this room.” 

“Yeah we’re kind of located in an unfortunate place. It’s the only place that we can have a dark room in but welcome.” If by unfortunate he means the dumps of the school where no one travels and not even Michael Myers would creep in the shadows. He turned and that’s when I saw her.