Chapter One

Chapter One

I awoke with a start. Sweat covered my face and neck; my hair sticking to my skin. My heart was hammering and my hands shook. Out of fear my head whipped around the room, as if I was looking for an evil demon or something else that had scared me.

I took in the familiar view of my bedroom, and let out a breath of relief. "It was only a dream" I whispered, "it was only a dream". I looked around the room, frowning slightly, before I flopped back down in the bed. It was close to dawn, but it was still dark.

I didn't return to sleep, I just stayed lying on my bed for a few hours. When it reached close to six am, a knock came on the door. "Time to get up" my mother shouted, sounding rushed. She didn't even open the door before running down the corridor to wake my sister up.

I heard her say a few words to my sister, as I sat up in bed. I sighed heavily, looking over at my closet – my outfit for the day, which was picked out three months previous, and handing off the door, and my packed suitcase standing next to it.

The day was November 10th. To humans it was just another day, but to Werewolves it was a day of excitement and joy. Because November 10th was Mate Day. Every year, on the sixth day of November, every Werewolf from the age of eighteen to twenty five met on neutral ground – for the Mating Ritual.

The male Wolves – from all the different Packs – got the choice of all the She Wolves in the country. To see which one they wanted for mating. As soon as a She Wolf turned eighteen they had to go, and then if they weren't chosen they continued to go back until they turned twenty five.

I was dreading the entire process. And the fact that all the She Wolves had to line up according to strength was just degrading. I didn't want to stand with the other weak Wolves, awaiting someone to decide I look good enough to be his mate.

However, my opinion was not shared with many. Most females couldn't wait for the Mating Ritual, in the hope that one of the Alpha's would choose them. To be picked by a Pack Leader – an Alpha – was rare, but not unheard of.

However, Alpha's mated with Alpha's. That was just how it was. An Alpha male, who wanted strong pups would always chose a She Wolf who had an Alpha father or grandfather; to ensure their pups would be as strong as possible. Yet, that didn't stop the eighteen year old girls living in hope. It was in a She Wolves nature to want to be with an Alpha.

"Gemini you better be dressed in the next two minutes, or else I'll come up there and dress you myself" my mother shouted. I groaned loudly, as I grabbed my outfit and walked into the bathroom. I glanced myself over in the mirror – realising that the sleepless night didn't do me any good. I had some serious work to do.

I showered myself before changing into my outfit – a knee length cotton white dress, with small delicate ivory flowers decorating the others. The top of the dress was strapless, and hung to my chest tightly – but not in a revealing way. The dress was A-Line and showed my figure. My mother told me that I had to show the male Wolves what they would be getting.

Once my dress was on, I headed downstairs. My mother and my elder sister were both waiting for me. My sister – Jazmine – was three years older than me. She met her mate, Adam, on her second year at that the Mating Ritual. Adam was nice guy, quiet, but nice. He was in our pack, so Jazmine continued to stay with our pack and live with us.

"Gemini" my mother greeted me, smiling nervously. "I knew that dress would be perfect. Now, please, sit". There was a seat in the middle of the lounge, a table next to it covered in beauty products. I wore the basics of make-up most days, but looking at the table I suddenly felt like I knew nothing of beauty regimens.