Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I hid out in my tent; not wanting to see anyone. No one from my old pack, no one from my new pack, and especially not Layton. I wasn't mad at Layton – not after what he told me about his past – but I just needed a bit of time on my own, to deal with the grieve I was feeling.

What Jacob did was inexcusable, yet, he had been a large part of my life. I grew up with Jacob, he was my closest friend. He was family. He stuck up for me when I used to be bullied. He drove me to and from school, even after he dropped out to work fully time. He was the main constant after my father died. And, suddenly, he was dead.

I curled up in my sleeping bag, soft tears staining the pillow. I hugged Darius close to my chest, wondering if Layton's childhood had been so horrible why he had kept the bear. But as soon as I began to think of Layton's past, I thought of what happened to him, then what Jacob did. It made me cry; hard.

So, I tried to distract myself, by thinking of nice things. I'd think of something simple, like my favourite food. My favourite food was pasta. So I'd think of pasta, which would lead me to that time that I made pasta for Layton. Thinking of that led me to think of Layton, which led me back – once more – to what he did to Jacob, and why. It was a vicious circle.

When night was drawing close, I began to get uncomfortable. The Full Moon was rising. I swallowed a deep lump in my throat; both from the crying and from the fast approaching fear. Shaking myself, I got out the tent.

Layton was waiting outside the tent for me. I knew he had been there; he had been for about an hour previous. I assumed he wanted to be near me, but not actually with me. I felt the same towards him. "I'm sorry" Layton whispered to me, as he got closer.

I smiled sadly, and took a step back. "You have nothing to be sorry for, Layton. You did what everyone else would have done in the situation. I don't blame you, nor do I love you any less because of what happened or because of what you told me. However, I need some time to grieve the friend I once knew. So, please, just allow me some time".

Layton's jaw set, and he gave me a small nod. His face was unreadable, like always, but I was so desperate to see what he was feeling. But Layton was a closed book; his page very much kept private. I wanted him to understand that I didn't blame him – I blamed Jacob – so I got onto my tip-toes and pressed a soft kiss to his lips. Just a small peck, to let him know I cared.

"I don't want you to be on your own during the shift" Layton said, chewing the inside of his cheek – in what I assumed was worry.

"I'll stay with her" a voice from behind us said. We both turned to see Beta Strider standing quietly; his large arms crossed over his chest. His face was hard also, with a look of complete boredom. He looked anything but caring, so I wasn't sure why he was volunteering his help. Layton didn't understand either.

"You've voice your dislike of my mate on many occasions, and now, suddenly, you want to help her?" he growled out. "Not to mention, she'll be naked. Why should I allow you to be with her?"

Beta Strider rolled his eyes, extremely disrespectful. Yet, Layton didn't comment on his behaviour. "I don't have to like her, to make sure she doesn't go rabid and kill someone" Beta Strider scoffed. "All I'm saying is that I will shift in the same vicinity as her, to make sure she doesn't go all ape-shit crazy".

"I won't" I replied, eyes pleading with Layton. I didn't like Beta Strider, and he obviously didn't like me, so I really didn't want to shift with him.

"Fine" Beta Strider through his hands into the air. "Just let her go be naked around all the unmated males who you don't know, rather than the unmated male who you do know".