19

"what's going on?" she asked her parents one summer morning, nearly at the end of vacations. they were packing their things and sending everything through vanishing cabinets and using charms.

"we're moving my love," answered her father.

"what?"

"a job with the ministry in france opened up and i accepted. we leave tonight."

"we can't leave! i- i can't! my life is here!"

"lily," sighed her mother sympathetically.

"i won't go."

"i knew you would say that," she looked up at him, confused. "if you can find a place to stay, anywhere, within the next week, we will send you money to handle yourself and be on your own. since it'll only be the summers, we've decided to let you."

"really?" she asked in disbelief.

"yes. i trust you. 15 is a little young to start independence, but you're much more responsible than others."

"thank you father."

"we're enrolling claire in beauxbatons. do big things lilian. i know you can," she hugged both of her parents and rushed to her room. picking out parchment and her quill, she starts writing two letters. one to kimberly and other to ron.

she sent both letters off with her owl celeste and then started packing her things.

"who's owls that?" ginny asked.

"just lily's," he answered nonchalant, but then his eyes widen as he realized what he just said, he hurried to the bird and grabbed the letter.

"thank you celeste," he mumbled after trying to open it.

"what does it say?" ginny looked over his shoulder.

he read the letter.

dear ron,
my parents just dropped the bomb on me that they're leaving to france along with my sister. luckily they let me stay but i need to find my own place. i asked kim if i can stay with her, but my owl wont reach her until tomorrow. do you think you can spend the night here, just once, before i leave. i'm scared to be alone.
love lily.

"you wanna sleep over at lily's tonight?" he asked ginny.

"would mom let us?"

"i'll ask now. do you want to come?" ginny nodded.