Chapter 1

Date: 06/03/2005

Understanding life is like an incomplete and complicated jigsaw puzzle, sometimes you need pieces to complete, yet you can’t find the appropriate ones. And sometimes you have several pieces, but they don’t fit in.

As we grow mature, we understand that life isn’t easy as it was believed to be. Every new incident in life gives a new lesson. Writing diary is like making a new piece in the puzzle which covers some hidden features of the picture. However, it remains a piece not the complete picture. This piece should not have all the colors of the complete picture, yet it should be well-incorporated with the whole.

My aim was never writing such philosophical words in the beginning of the diary, but I feel it would be unjust to write the story without a good prologue. For an intricate story some witty words at the start are essential. But I think every life-story is worthy to have an amazing and carefully structured prologue. It is not that the writer seeks rhetoric or high-flown speech, yet it should be weighty, like some heavenly Muse has spoken in ears.

Why not? Life stories are always heavenly; they are written by the Greatest Artist. The writers on earth just put them on pages. They do not create the stories. The reason of scribing may be insignificant, but the story should not be. We live our lives as actors as well as audience of these stories. Some of us find words and time to scribe what we witness, many of our specie keep them in mind and very few ignore them. I believe all our lives we live in His book and keep on performing on the stage created by Him. No one is allowed to leave the stage before the end of the story.

Thus, the prologue of my story would traditionally introduce the character and the circumstances with a pinch of philosophy; the philosophy of life. The reason of writing my story is not significant. Though I am tired, but my sleep has gone with the winds. Therefore, I thought I should start writing a diary to keep myself busy. People find different things pleasing that keep them busy. I wonder how many have thought of the plan that I have. When I was young, I read somewhere in my books that ‘keeping a diary is a good habit because it becomes one’s good friend’, most precisely, it listens to you patiently unlike others. I think inanimate are best listeners. As, I do not have ‘many’ friends so I think I should write about myself in a diary. It is not that I don’t have any friend at all… Most surprisingly, I don’t know how to write a diary whether I need to start with my routine from morning till night, or should I just narrate anything important happened during the day?

So, Dear Diary, it seems funny that you are entitling a non-living thing with the word ‘dear’, but let’s just for the first day of ‘friendship’. Well, there are many non-living things that are dear to us. I think it does not depend on what is the state of thing. It depends on our association with the them. One thing is for sure that non-living things don’t betray like many living creatures. I have never written a single page of diary in my life, and how could I have? I am a newspaper reporter. In my daily life I have to work a lot in the field and then on the desk. Working in the field is what I like but working on desk is what I am mostly supposed to do. However, in my department some fellows are jealous on my status, and they put our story as guests who are served with the news. Funny, no one is satisfied with the things one has. 

If I will talk about why I am tired, then the story triggers with the start of the day when I was unable to find a cab to my office. My office is not that big because it is a local newspaper office. The main office presides in Lahore and different cities have consultant offices. And I work at such an office. 

Yesterday, I arrived here in the ‘new city’. It was definitely not easy from the initiation of idea to its fulfilment. Living alone in another city seems an unnecessary yet terrific adventure in my little world. My folks advise not to indulge in such stuff. Yet, as a rebel, I packed my stuff and hit on the road. I know, going on such an adventure would not be counted as a courageous step, but it would become an important part in admonition for coming generations. This is how many other folks work in my little world.