Part 1: The Report Card

Chapter 1
                                          Alyssa:
      Today was the day the report cards came out. I shall regret this day for as long as I live. You see, let me tell you a little about myself.

      I am Alyssa Carters. I am GREAT at hockey, football, tennis, and especially soccer. Any sport, you name it. But when it came to school, let's just say I'm not an A student and leave it at that. Ok fine. I flunk school. I fail at every test, and everything the teacher says goes in one ear, and out the other. That is why I hate this day.

      But honestly, who cares how many baskets of eggs some Bob was taking from a grocery store? Who cares about newtons and effort, who cares? Why should I care about dumb math and science and spelling when I am going to be a professional soccer player when I'm older. Just like my dad. Apparently, my mom's thoughts differ. She thinks I am going to help save the world and make a difference with some sort of new product. I always tell her the same exact thing when she says that to me.

      " But mom, I am changing the world. In soccer history, that is of course." Somehow, she has put the thought in her head that I am supposed to be just like her and graduate at a good college like Princeton or Harvard. I am like dad, my older sister Courtney is like her. But, I keep this to myself.

       My dad. I get tears in my eyes thinking about him. He was funny and kind and I loved him more than anything. But God had to take him away from us as if we deserved what we got. Did we? Did I?

      I am sitting at the back if class, my shoulders slumped to show exhaustion. I yawn. Boredom. This class is full of it I tell you. "Class dismissed." Said Mrs. Hawthorne. A sentence I love. I was relieved. I'm pretty sure the whole class knew that Mrs. H has forgotten something but no one says anything.

     Of course, I was wrong. That stupid Malvis Maybel raises his hand and Mrs. H calls on him. " What is it," She asks with a hint if annoyance in her voice. " I... I had a little accident." He said. I was saved. " That reminds me. Your report cards are still waiting in my car. I will be right back. Silent read quietly. I hope I can trust you." Plz, I thought. She knows she can't.

     Once I am sure the teacher has left, I turn around and grunt,

" Thanks a lot Malvis." " What??" He replies, as if clueless. I roll my eyes.

      I can see Zack staring at me from the corner of my eye. I blush. He is kinda cute. But I'm better off on my own.

     Mrs. Hawthorne is back with a file folder full of papers. I take a deep breath. I'm ready for this. My mother isn't.

     She places an envelope on my desk. I unlatch the hook and open it. My eyes are wide in shock and I am speechless. I gulp.

                                   Chapter 2:
                                    Alyssa:

     Normally, I wouldn't be surprised at my report card results. But this was different. I had gotten an F on math. I had failed math!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I was in trouble. Big, big trouble. " Now off with you." Shooed Mrs. Hawthorne who was my last class. After Mrs. Hawthorne, ( who had a right to give out report cards for us since she was last class) I had a free  period and then I got to go home.

      Everyone is heading out. That's when a light bulb appears on my head. "You coming??" Asks Mrs. Hawthorne.

      " Ya. Of course. I need a second please." I reply sweetly.  "Fine, but close the door behind you. A girl's gotta go when she's gotta go."

       Perfect. Time to put my plan in action. I snoop around in the file folder until I find Maya's. She is really smart and has all A's. Great. To make sure that no one suspected a thing, I duplicated Maya's work. One for her, one for me. I put both my report card and Maya's in my back pack. Operation Hide-Away is on a go.

                                ++++++++++++++

        I stomp through the front door showing off my new all star converse. I plop down on the couch and begin my homework.

        It's about six a clock when my mother comes in. My sister is at a sleepover apparently. "Hi sweety." She kisses me on my forehead." You know what day it is, don't you? Where is it?" She sticks her hand out. I give her Maya's report card. She studies it and her eyes widen. Then she stops. " Wait a sec. Why does it say Melissa Rodgers on this report card??" She asks sharply.

        " Uhhh.. Umm, my... nickname is Melissa?" I say uncertainly. Maya prefers everyone to call her Melissa over Maya though Melissa isn't even her name. At least Alyssa and Melissa both rhyme.

        My mother scoffs. "Your nickname is Melissa Rodgers?" She repeats. " Y..Ya. All kids have nicknames in school. Mine just.. happens to be.. uhh.. oh yes, Melissa Rodgers." I finish, smiling.

        My mom frowns, clearly confused. " I don't understand kids these days. They think nicknames are cool. In school? Huh. Weird." But, my excuse works because my mom begins to check the bills. She is so distracted that she didn't even finish checking "my" report card. Although it'll take a lot more then one excuse to keep this lie a secret....

                What do you think? Comment down. If you liked this, come back for more parts. Tell all your friends and family. Stay beautiful. Today's shout out goes to RemshaHussain so read and like her story The Light in the Dark and more. She is a great author.