12. Flitwick's Friendly Advice

The holidays are surprisingly restful.

The warm fireplace of my parents house, roti and biryani for days to balance out the food at Hogwarts, and being spoiled by my grandparents.

It makes standing in Flitwick's office about to talk about my future that much more depressing.

"Miss Joshi, I'm afraid you've come to ask for help very late in the school year." He peers over my report cards from over the years with a sigh. "Not to mention Hogwarts doesn't have most prerequisites for muggle universities."

"I understand professor, but is there anything we can do?" My finger entangle themselves nervously. "It's been my dream to become an architect since before I found out about magic."

"Yes, yes, I've seen your passion for capturing Hogwart's beauty..." he hums, deep in thought before snapping his fingers and hopping out of his chair.

The professor makes his way towards a cabinet towards the back of his office.

"Honestly, Miss Joshi, I thought you would have given up on this career path, considering an overwhelming amount of magic folk choose to stay in the wizarding world after they graduate."

I don't answer and he continues.

"However, that isn't to say there are no possible options to help you," he pulls out a large white brick from one of the lower shelves and dusts it off. "This should help you for your entrance exams."

Flitwick hands me the brick, which upon closed inspection is actually a giant pile of papers filled with mathematical formulas and other things to study. The weight of both the package and the realization of what I have to do nearly make me fall to the floor.

"Work on that, and come spring time, you'll be ready for the exam." He beams at me. "I'll call headmaster Dumbledore and ask to put in a favour with one of the muggle professors he knows.

Any who, you best be getting back to the dorms, Miss Joshi, I expect to see you bright-eyed in my class tomorrow morning - no using this study package as an excuse to skip!"

And he ushers me out of his office with too much force for a man of his size (though I do admit my feet feel like lead after listening to him speak, which does not make for a helpful walking situation).

Only when I hear the door shut behind me do I realize I have left Flitwick's office. Turning my head around, there is no one left in the hall, probably all in their dorms getting ready for the first classes of the new year tomorrow.

The weight in my arms begs for my attention and, reluctantly, I give in, staring that what I can only assume is thousands upon thousands of pages of muggle curriculum for me to study.

Merlin, this won't be fun.