6. Birthday Girl

Dad and I sit in a cozy restaurant near his office

Dad and I sit in a cozy restaurant near his office. The decoration is minimalistic and tasteful— framed cityscapes adorn the dark walls, and each table has a small flower arrangement on it.

"I'm going to use the bathroom," I say.

Dad smiles, watching me as I get up from my chair and walk to the back of the restaurant where the restrooms are.

When I am in the small room, I do the same thing I've done at least ten times today — I pull the phone out of my pocket and check if there are new texts or emails. There are none.

I wash my hands under the faucet and rehearse a smile in front of the mirror. It's still on my face when I make it back to where Dad is sitting. He waits until I lower myself onto the plush chair. As soon as I do, the people in the restaurant grow quiet. Stunned, I see a waitress carrying a piece of cake with a candle stuck into it. Everyone sings Happy Birthday, and I cover my mouth with my palms as the girl approaches me and puts the platter with the dessert on the white tablecloth. 

"Make a wish," Dad says and gives me an encouraging nod.

"Okay," I whisper, closing my eyes as I am trying to think about something pleasant— something different from the things on my mind. Someone different.

I decide on a generic wish about being healthy and doing well at school. Everyone claps their hands as I blow out the candle. Then, the calm returns, and Dad and I enjoy the dessert, speaking very little while we're eating.

"So, any plans later today?" asks Dad.

"My friends and I are going to celebrate at a bar on campus."

"And Mom?"

"I'll see her tomorrow. She has evening classes today."

Dad smiles slightly. My relationship with my mom is far from being easy. I am not sure I have forgiven her for lying to me all those years, but I am trying to focus on my present instead of dwelling on my past.

For the first time, Mom is trying to improve her life, too. She went back to school to be able to find a better job, and although neither of them mentioned it, I know my parents talk to each other.

We finish my birthday lunch and say our goodbyes. Dad hugs me and kisses my cheek. He stays on the sidewalk, watching me put on my helmet and get on my Harley. Pride shines through his eyes, and I know he's genuinely happy we finally found each other.

***

The crop top I'm wearing doesn't cover that much. It shows my midriff, but it looks great on me, and I can't help smiling as I assess myself in the mirror.

I'm still thin, but I did gain some weight. Annie says it suits me. Now that she's studying to be a physiotherapist, she is more into sports than before. We do yoga together, and although I was reluctant to do it at first, I started to work out at the gym.