16. Hurting

It's been a week, seven kitten lattes, and just as many chocolate muffins for Leah

It's been a week, seven kitten lattes, and just as many chocolate muffins for Leah. I left her notes each time but didn't ask her to hear me out.

Now that I've waited long enough, I want to change that. In today's note I'd given Jenny, Leah's coworker,  I asked Leah to meet me for a cup of coffee the following day. 

Her shift at the library doesn't start till the afternoon. If she agrees to see me, she will text me a yes.

My stomach is in knots as I walk to the cafe on campus, where the guys and I agreed to meet for an early lunch.

As I push the cafe door open, I spot Drew, Bast, and Nash already at a table in the back, deep in conversation.

They aren't laughing, meaning the shit is serious. Quickly, I order a burger and some fries and make my way to where the guys are sitting.

"Hey," I say, putting my tray on the table.

Bast gives me a half-smile. "Hey. We've been talking about chicks."

I pop a fry into my mouth. "Go on; pretend I'm not here. I'm not an expert on the matter, so I'll sit and listen."

"Right," says Drew. "Nash's girl might be ghosting him."

My eyes land on Nash. He's toying with the label of his water bottle with his brows pulled into a frown.

"I don't know if ghosting is the correct term," he says when the pause and the silence at the table become too evident.

"Oh, it is," says Drew. "No dates, no sleepovers, she's been busy for the last week. That's how you ghost."

"He already feels like shit, don't make it worse." Bast scowls at Drew. "Maybe she's really busy."

Nash smiles slightly. It's forced and fake as fuck. I feel sorry for him.

"Thanks, guys," he says too quietly in a tone that's far from cheerful. "But I just have this ugly feeling inside, you know? I thought we were getting somewhere, but then she goes to that fucking party, and something changes. And I'm too big of a coward to ask her what's wrong because I don't know if I can handle the answer."

"Maybe you should," I say despite my initial resolve to keep my mouth shut. "Maybe it has nothing to do with you. People deal with shit in different ways."

Nash looks at me. "Thanks, Brian. The truth is, I've never liked anyone this much. It scares me because if she wants to end it, it will hurt like a bitch."

None of us knows what to respond to that. We chew our food in silence, not wanting to rub salt into Nash's wound.

I can't help thinking about my situation. If Leah refuses to talk to me, I will insist until she hears me out, but what I really want is for her to say yes to that coffee date. 

I screwed up in the worst of ways, and I know it. There wasn't a day that passed without me regretting leaving her the way I did. 

She's not the same shy, poor girl anymore. She grew up and spread her wings like I knew she would, but she's hurt, and I'm the one to blame. I hurt her, and I'm ready to beg for her forgiveness.