Chapter 5: Out of mind or so she thought

It was close to midnight and Tochi was still studying for her UTME but she decided to go to bed, after giving it much thought she went to bath first while Sheyi and Adesola were thinking about that Giovanni or whatever his name is.

Tochi's house was just a two bedroom flat, while Mummy and Pappi slept in the main bedroom, she and Prosper shared the second. It was big enough for both and with the two doors a curtain was drawn for privacy sake. It had one bathroom, a kitchen and a sitting room with a small passage way which Pappi finally fixed iron protectors.
While she scooped water to pour over her short hair she had recently cut she also thought about her reasons for hating boys.

'That Giovanni even knows Mummy sef'. Adesola blurted.

'See how he came when Mummy returned from the market and even helped her'. Sheyi finished.

What even happened when I was younger. Tochi thought

''See this one oh! We're here talking about something important and you're busy saying something else'. Sheyi reprimanded.

'If you've forgotten you've forgotten, leave the past and focus on the present and future'. Adesola said.

'Chai Sola, you know something oh'. Sheyi teased.

Tochi smiled and went to bed.

"Una goodnight oh". She mistakenly blurted , loud enough for Prosper to hear.

'Ehh go sleep abeg'. Sheyi taunted.

'Ohh... Jesus, Sheyi leave am na'.
Adesola commented with a yawn.

Soon Tochi felt her eyelids close almost immediately. Within few minutes, the nightmares began. The same man forcing himself into her while watching her cry. She was dead within, her emotions were all over the place but the man continued his torture until she was knocked unconscious. Tochi cried and cried until dawn when Prosper ran to her, patting her back lightly.

"I don tell you make you stop to dey think am, no worry too much but you no dey hear, now see as e dey cry, sorry naa...". ("I've told you to stop thinking and worrying much but you refused to adhere to my advice, now you're crying, Sorry...")

He continued reassuring her.
'Prosper always had her back right from her eight birthday. She recalled that at first they weren't this close..., no she wouldn't think of it'.

Tochi never actually remembered what happened before they moved that day into Woji, but she knew on their way to the new house they were involved in a car crash.
It wasn't that bad, only that the trailer carrying crates upon crates of Coca Cola bottles had collided with their mini van. Mummy and Pappi had injuries and were unconscious for a while, Prosper had a fractured ankle but she..., back in the mini van she sat directly to the wind shield and smashed her head although sharp spiked glasses did more damages to her head. Tochi always remembered the accident but try as hard as she might, she never recalled what happened before nor few hours before, it was as if her brain had suppressed that particular memory.

On her way to school Tochi saw Casper on black jeans and yellow sweatshirt with hoodie and Puma slides.

"Before you say anything am escorting you to school and it will be so everyday except am ill". Casper rushed out the words with a smile.

Tochi shook hear head side ways and sighed 'for sure this guy was stupid'.

'Anyway let's not talk first'. Tochi heard Sheyi spoke. That was the first she heard of the voices today.

'Adesola good morning oh, na me go greet you for night, na me go still greet you for morning'. Tochi thought.

'Madam no vex, I just dey look this fine boy'. Adesola teased and Tochi rolled her eyes.

Soon she was in school, not bothering to tell Casper bye even when he did. It was a Catholic school close to YKC filling station and even though she was supposed to enter a vehicle(keke), they took a short route.

Her school Stella Maris College detested late comers but all the same Tochi had never appeared late to school nor was she planning to. So far, she hadn't been involved in a punishment, she never made noise as she avoided conversation like a plague, never failed a test as she studied for straight A's and she was always with her Catholic hymn book and Bible.

'We're going to be a Pediatrician soon'. Sheyi screamed.

'Yeah, in a very very long time'. Tochi thought.

She had made the decision when Mmachi whom she had renamed 'favorito baby' died due to convulsion. She loved the kid to death, favorito baby was her neighbour's child, was very calm and undemanding but very lively and smart although the kid was just 22months old.

'Til today I still dey feel for Mma'. Adesola remarked.

True, whenever they remembered favorito baby their emotions were always a mess.

Class was boring as usual and only her phone games could ease some but she dare not bring it to school. Her Tecno Camon 12 air was too precious to be confiscated forever. Besides Pappi would talk her ears off.

After six hours, classes were over for the day and Tochi left with few books in her school bag while the rest were in her locker.
But what was surprising was seeing the twin and the guy she had twisted his arm during her first soccer training at the school gate.

'Abi dem no get work or wetin'? (Does it mean they're jobless or something) She thought aloud but they still escorted her home.

Thanks for the reads. Comment and tap that star button if you loved the chapter 😊❤️.