Chapter eleven: Silence says

Early Tuesday morning, Giovanni drove Tochi to her exam center. The ICT department of Rittman was huge and Tochi was amazed. She had never been to a tertiary institute, only seen video clips and photographs of them so maybe saying Rittman University was huge could be an overstatement or ignorance. Rittman University was gigantic, spacious, wide and beautiful but Tochi had little time for instant sightseeing as her exam began by 7:30 am and it was already 7am.

Sharp girl, dont be nervous, youll rock it. Casper had said, he came with his own car for moral support and had been with Tochi since Monday morning. They had both gone for sightseeing around Akwa Ibom, well Ikot Ekpene, Abak and Uyo in particular. Casper drew Tochi closer for a hug, it was brief but Tochi shivered. All her life, she never purposely let people hug her but Casper had recently made the count to two.

Your rosary and your cap? Giovanni demanded with a smile, explaining that the exam officers would never let her or anyone in with those accessories. Besides, these was Rittman, everyone knew other than clothes and shoes nothing else were allowed during these exams, and it was computer based.

This isnt a test for your knowledge Tochi, youre a genius, be yourself and youll make it. Casper had advised her. Now Tochi was in, within minutes she had selected her exam type, typed in her I.D number and began. The total score was 200 and based on the forms she filled, her result would pop up once she submitted just like JAMB but she had to wait for at least a day to find out if she was admitted. Extra 30 minutes was given to them before she left the hall.

Both Casper and Giovanni were awaiting her arrival with some other people she had never met before. There was a girl talking animatedly to Giovanni, two other girls were whispering in his ears. Casper was also talking to another quite muscular, tattooed guy. Then her eyes landed on Chukwudi and Pato sitting on one of the twins car bonnet, now those two she knew.

Tochi felt her heart drop, she needed someone to tell her it as okay to feel this way towards Giovanni but her head was quiet.

Where are the girls when you need them she thought while climbing down the stairs. The guys hadnt seen her yet. Adesola and Sheyi had been quiet since her talk with Giovanni, she could swear she feels them somewhere in her head hiding, but that was all.

How was it? Casper asked once she stepped down. The muscular guy stared at her intensely and she turned towards Giovanni. He and the others turned towards her and immediately Tochi felt small compared to them. The girls were watching her like a hawk and anxiety gripped her, Chukwudi and Pato smiled at her and instantly she felt slightly better.

198. Tochi replied with an almost smile as she swallowed nervously. Casper rushed her, Pato and Chukwudi too, they hugged and hailed her.

Damn girl, you beat last years best score. Pato congratulated, The school would surely grant you an admission

Tochi turned sideways and stared at Giovanni, his hands were behind the waist of both girls as he also stared at her like a deer caught in headlight. Tochi smiled at him, ignoring the way his action caused the pelt of her stomach to constrict against her heart.

Were just friends she thought. There was no way he knew she liked him and she preferred to leave it that way. Giovanni finally smiled back and walked towards her. The smile felt different for her, it was like an apologetic one.

Youll get in dont worry Giovanni commented. Tochi had thought about the admission but she had also buried it at one part of her brain. Now that Giovanni had said this, it was appeased.

Lets celebrate, Caspers place Chukwudi screamed and rushed into the car they came with. Tochi walked to the front seat of Giovannis car but one of the girls was already there, she sighed and took the back seat.