Chapter 9

Disclaimer: Harry Potter does not belong to me, I am only borrowing the concept

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

October 30th found Harry in his room, hastily throwing things into the trunk he had been given. He had not bothered packing before now, but seeing as they would be leaving in only an hour, he knew he should get going.

He carefully warded one compartment, then placed in it his luxurious robes and dragonhide boots. Harry looked down in distaste at the common school robed he was made to don. They were nowhere near the quality or style he was accustomed to.

Dumbledore had also given him a Gryffindor tie, which he had point-blank refused to put on until absolutely necessary.

Once everything was pushed into his trunk and the lid was closed, Harry exited the room. He found James and Lily in the sitting room, conversing with Dumbledore, Remus, and Sirius.

Harry stood in the doorway, watching them talk and joke about, until Sirius noticed him, and waved him in.

"Come on in, Harry!" The man said boisterously.

The green-eyed boy grimaced before walking lightly to the furthest chair and sitting on its edge.

"Are you excited to go to Hogwarts?" Remus asked kindly.

"Not particularly," Harry replied.

"Oh, you'll love it, Harry. There's lots of room to walk around and explore, and you'll be able to make so many new friends," Lily said cheerfully.

"And the friends you'll make there are ones you'll have forever," James continued with a fond look at the men across from him.

"Oh yes, because everyone is simply itching to be friends with the son of Lord Voldemort."

Ignoring the flinches of the others Dumbledore replied, "No one will know the details of your past, so that will not be an issue."

Harry did not miss the unspoken words – he was not to tell anyone of his history. The group sat in silence for a few minutes before Remus spoke again, "We should really get going now."

"Quite right, we'll take the floo," Dumbledore stood and gestured Lily, James, and Harry towards it.

James went first, calling out "Headmaster's office, Hogwarts!"

Lily then went with Harry, an obvious safeguard against him attempting to escape.

Once everyone was in the office, Dumbledore smiled warmly and gestured to the door.

"Let us head to Gryffindor tower, no one will be there at this time, so Harry can get all settled."

Harry curled his lip at the thought, but made no protest as they walked through the halls of the school. He could see why his father liked it – the castle practically radiated power, and he looked forward to the day when they could bring it to its full potential.

Before they knew it, they were standing in front of the fat lady's portrait.

"Thestral," Dumbledore spoke importantly.

The five adults walked into the common room, but Harry felt a magical pull block him from the doorway.

"Why is an unsorted student trying to enter the common room?" The fat lady looked appalled.

"Of course he's been sorted, he's a Gryffindor," Dumbledore protested.

"No he's not. The magic of the school is blocking his entry into the common room," The portrait looked accusingly at the headmaster.