Chapter 5

Disclaimer: I did not write Harry Potter, and thus do not own it

X

Panic and rage consumed Harry as his feet landed at the door to Riddle Manor. He had seen his face. James Potter had recognized him. All his father's work and careful planning gone to hell. Dammit!

Harry stormed his way into his Voldemort's study, color high with panic.

"Harry?" concern was evident in the man's voice.

"He saw me, without my mask," Harry raised his head, "Potter recognized me. He knows who I am! The whole order knows by now! Probably already in the prophet-"

"Slow down, slow down. How did this happen?"

"Someone cast a relashio at my mask, it fell for a couple seconds, but Potter was staring straight at me. I heard him call out as I disapparated. He definitely knows who I am."

"Alright, this situation, though not ideal, is manageable... if we keep our wits about us."

Something in his father's calm demeanor in what Harry viewed as a tragedy calmed him as well. Nodding, Harry settled down to discuss the plan of action.

"This can be used to our advantage, perhaps."

Harry's eyebrow rose, "oh?"

"Indeed. The order will no doubt try to capture you and revert you to the "light" side. This would present us with a unique opportunity."

"But surely I'm of more use here?"

"Of course, but we must acknowledge that should you be captured, it can be used to our advantage."

Harry nodded, looking thoughtful, "I wouldn't be in danger because no one in the order would want to harm the Potter's 'son'."

"Precisely, and you'd be in a perfect position to gain intel on the Order of the Phoenix as well as Dumbledore himself."

"It'd be an opportunity to get that much closer to ending the old man once and for all."

"But only as a last resort," Voldemort cautioned, "there are too many uncertainties in such a plan. We must simply be prepared for the event that you are held hostage by the order."

"In other words, more training," Harry muttered with a grimace.

Voldemort only smirked in response.

X

James's world was crashing down around him. He knew, was certain that the boy he had seen for a split second was Harry. His Harry. Who was also dead.

How was this possible? Harry was declared dead almost a decade ago, killed on Voldemort's orders. There was no question, no dispute; his baby was dead. So what was this? Some cruel trick of Voldemort's, meant to throw him off guard and distract him? That had to be it. But then why did the assassin look so panicked that his face had been revealed? Why had he disapparated so fast if it was all a trick and he was meant to be seen? James's head ached with confusion and shock.

A hand touched his shoulder hesitantly, "James? Was- was that who I think it was?"

The dark-haired auror nodded silently. Sirius's hand tightened on his shoulder, "But how-"

Moody cut him off, "Nothing is confirmed yet. This was most likely a trick meant to cause us to be distracted. There's probably dozens of death eaters coming this way as we speak, ready to finish the job the imposter left behind," the magical eye spun wildly, "We should leave immediately."