ろくじゅうはち

tears of unknown grieve left wonwoo's eyes, the clock continuing its endless ticking even if it was far past three am. the darkness in his room contained so much void and only made the burden resting upon his chest heavier. as if something tried to suffocate him and restrained him from breathing. 

he just couldn't understand what was wrong with him and why everyone kept treating him like he had severe disabilities. the amnesia that was discovered had brought no harm up until now, when his friends started pushing him into unlocking his so called lost memories. yet still he couldn't recall a single memory of what had been lost. 

though this mingyu that showed up at his house today made him feel some nostalgic sense of familiarity, that he found hard to admit to. it was as if his earlier vague memory when he picked up the ancient fairy tale book had some weird connection with this mingyu guy. yet still, he couldn't remember what exactly it was. 

and he tried so hard to force himself to at least feel or remember something, but nothing came along. nothing but that weird flash that showed earlier that day. 

oh how he wished he never got involved in that car accident, so he could continue his life like how it once used to be. 

a silent knock filled his room, which wonwoo ignored as the last thing he wanted was company right now. he absolutely wasn't in the mood to have a full conversation at this hour, especially not with those who hadn't left his house in days, and were supposed to be asleep now in different places of his house. 

although the unknown presence seemed persistent and knocked another three times before wonwoo finally gave in and answered. "what?" he didn't feel like being nice and also didn't budge to move from his current position. 

the door opened, making a yellow stroke of light from the hallway fall onto his floor as junhui's face appeared in the doorway. "hey.. eh.. i kind of heard you crying in the room next door.. so i was just checking in to see if you were doing alright?" 

and of course, wonwoo could hardly turn down junhui's friendliness as the boy was the first one to show some sense of humanity today. "come in." wonwoo sighed, hurriedly wiping away his tears with the fabric of his t-shirt. 

junhui took a seat on the edge of his bed and worriedly examined wonwoo's face, who avoided his gaze. "want to talk about it?" the chinese male offered, making wonwoo shrug, unbothered to sit up to at least show interest in the conversation. 

"it's about this whole amnesia thing, isn't it?" junhui bluntly asked, which surprisingly didn't piss wonwoo off like how it had done earlier. "i guess.. i just want life to go back to normal again."

"but it is normal." junhui playfully rolled over next to wonwoo, laying on his side to remain their occasional eye contact. there was a respective space in between them, giving wonwoo another certain familiar feeling which he couldn't quite put a finger on. "if you can't remember, you should not worry about it. don't you feel the same like how you did before?"

"well i do.. but everyone keeps confirming it so constantly." wonwoo sighed, helplessly looking at the elder boy beside him, hoping for some advice at least.

"see, then there's nothing to be worried about. as long as it isn't a bother to you, you shouldn't be afraid of our opinion as well." junhui spoke in a calming manner, his words working magic on wonwoo. "want me to tell you a story about mingyu?" 

wonwoo was struck with hesitation for a mere second, although he was quick to nod since his curiosity took over. "i think it's up to him to tell you the story of how you two met. but there's so much you've forgotten about that i wish you could remember."

a small disappointed sigh left wonwoo's lips, yet he kept listening attentively. "the love you shared was so.. beautiful and tender. ever since you two met mingyu had changed into a whole different person, as if you got out the better side out of him he hadn't shown to anyone in years. he could also never stop talking about you either. i can't remember i've ever seen him actually being in love. or at least genuinely happy."

wonwoo couldn't restrain a small smile from showing on his lips, sudden warmth filling his body. "how about me? was i in love with him too?" junhui nodded immediately, his smile growing wider on the memories they made back in seokmin's stay. "i didn't know you too well back then, but the way you looked at him gave away how much you adored him. have you ever heard of soulmates?"

soulmates. a term he had heard before, but couldn't remember where. if he only recalled that one conversation he shared with seokmin and his father the night before his final departure..

"how can he be my soulmate when i can't even remember him?" wonwoo asked, a bit confused by junhui's choice of words. 

"because i think you will remember him one day. i'm personally not even that mad at him, i think it's just hansol and your friends who try to protect you from his reckless actions-" "-wait, reckless actions?" wonwoo interrupted him as he had no idea what the chinese male was talking about, also not understanding their anger towards mingyu. 

though he calmly nodded, without further answering his question. "that's also not up to me to tell you. eventually mingyu will stop by again or your memories will be freshened up by yourself. it'll only take some time."

junhui smiled warmly at the helpless boy, who couldn't find the right words to speak back. though junhui accepted him, reminding himself that it was late and wonwoo had never been a talker anyhow. "i'm just saying that i think you and mingyu were destined to be together. and no matter how angry everyone is at him, i think you both deserve to be with each other."

"i have never seen such a beautiful character development in two human beings who learned to grow through each other. i guess soulmates really do exist."