Chapter 20 - Mirkwood

"Go now, while you have light," Beorn said. "The hunters are not far behind."

In Beorn's barn, we saddled up on the ponies. I rode with Thorin once again.

We set off. The ponies ran east to Mirkwood. I looked behind me. Beorn had turned into a bear and was watching over us as we traveled.

We rode on for the afternoon until we reached the beginning of a great, yet gloomy looking forest. Mirkwood...I thought.

Gandalf dismounted and walked into the edge of the forest through an ancient archway.

"The Elven gate," he whispered.

He turned and called to us, "Here lies our path through Mirkwood."

"No sign of the Orcs," I said. "We have luck on our side."

"This forest feels...sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?" Bilbo inquired.

"Not unless we go two hundred miles north," Gandalf said. "Or twice that distance south." He walked forward. "Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master."

Gandalf entered the forest and stayed in there for quite some time.

I approached Thorin

"What happens if we cross paths with King Thranduil?"

"Pray that we don't. That's all I can say," he answered.

"How long until Durin's Day?" I asked.

"3 days," he said. "We must move with haste."

He started towards the forest as Gandalf stormed out of it.

"Not my horse, I need it!" Gandalf cried.

"You're not leaving us...?" I asked.

"I'm sorry. I would not do this unless I had to."

Gandalf and Thorin exchanged a look before the wizard started speaking with Gandalf.

"Now let us really pray we don't cross paths with him..." Thorin whispered.

"I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor," Gandalf said. "Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me."

Gandalf stopped and looked hard at Thorin as he spoke.

"This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion," he warned. "It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray."

"Lead us astray?" the dwarves asked amongst themselves. "What does that mean?"

Gandalf mounted his horse. It began to rain slightly, even though the sun was out. I looked up towards the sky with a look of disappointment. I hated rain. It was raining the day I came back to my village...

The images flashed once more through my mind. After not thinking about it for so long, I grew faint.

"Ohhh!" I gasped. I started falling towards the ground. Thorin caught me.

"Jaedda!" he cried. "What's the matter?"

"It's nothing," I replied. "I feel fine now."

He stared at me for a moment, unsure, but finally let me back up.

"You must stay on the path," Gandalf ordered. "Do not leave it. If you do, you will never find it again."

Gandalf wheeled his horse and rode away.

Where is he going!? I thought. The old wizard could be a real mystery sometimes.

"No matter what may come, stay on the path!" Gandalf called behind him.