Chapter X: Unforeseen

(L/N) took many issues with UA Highschool's hero course. The naivete of his fellow classmates, who obviously didn't grasp just how dangerous the world really was. The way the faculty presented the hero profession as something to be revered, never mentioning the responsibility and control that using one's quirk demanded. But what bothered him most of all was the costumes. Damn monkey suits only served to detach everyone from reality even further. Being a hero wasn't about playing dress up. It was about saving people. But all anyone really seemed to care about was if you could look good while doing it. Flashy quirks and sparkly costumes. (L/N) hated it.

But the hero outfit Principal Nezu had had made for him was one of fine silk and thread. It was far more comfortable than the school uniforms or PE clothing, and the only reason he was wearing it for the day. Most of the others had donned their hero costumes as well, but they did it for all the reasons (L/N) hated.

He flinched at the sound of the whistle. He didn't mind Iida, really. At least not his personality. But he was one of the loudest students in Class 1A, a trait that only seemed to get worse when he became class representative.

"Gather round, Class 1A!" He shouted at everyone. "Using your student numbers, for two neat lines so we can load the bus efficiently."

(L/N) gritted his teeth as Iida kept blowing on the whistle. Walking past him, he snatched the damn thingby the string around his neck and crushed it in his glowing fist. Ignoring Iida's indignant stammers, he stepped onto the bus. He was followed by Sero, then Ururaka, and within a few minutes the bus was filled, though not to Iida's specifications.

"The bus's open layout ruined my boarding strategy." He lamented, head in his hands while everyone else sat wherever they pleased.

"Iida, you really need to chill." Ashido said.

"If we're pointing out the obvious, then there's something I want to say. About you actually." Asui said, looking towards Midorya. "That power of yours. Isn't it a lot like All Mights?"

The conversation quickly turned into one about quirks. (L/N) internally rolled his eyes and tuned out his classmates' voices, resting his forehead against the cool glass. Quirks. Everyone was so obsessed with quirks. Everyone wanted to be born with a strong quirk. The more powerful, the better. If only they knew.

"Well, if any of our classmates have pro quirks, it's Todoroki, Bakugou, and (L/N)."

Hearing his name, he turned his ears in the direction of their conversation. They thought he had a pro quirk? Based on what, his training match? He supposed they were right. To some extent anyways. His quirk was very flashy. With the limitless potential granted to him by his power he could probably very easily become one of the most popular pro heroes. He'd be willing to bet that most of his classmates would be willing to trade quirks with him in a heartbeat. He wouldn't be opposed to it either. If they could wield his power for even a minute, maybe then they'd understand. Maybe then, like him, they'd wish they had been born with no quirk at all instead of the curse placed upon his head.

The bus slowed to a stop not long after. They exited the vehicle, standing before a large domed building. At the entrance stood a figure in an astronautical uniform. The Space Hero, Thirteen.

"Hello everyone. I've been waiting for you!" She greeted. "I can't wait to show you what's inside."

Thirteen lead the way, proudly pushing open the doors for the students to enter.

"A shipwreck." She said, directing everyone's attention towards a simulated flood land. "A landslide. A fire. A windstorm. Et cetera. I created this training facility to prepare you to deal with different types of disasters. I call it the Unforeseen Simulation Joint. But you can call it USJ!"