Prologue

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. -J.Robert Oppenheimer

My mind reeled as I stared down at my phone, the black screen staring right back up. He had hung up on me. I was confused as to why my dad would want me home- immediately. I didn't think that I had done anything wrong... he sounded choked up, and my dad wasn't an emotional guy. When I was little, I thought my dad was a lawyer based on his factual descriptions and capability to win all arguments, but in fact he's a doctor. That's why I thought it may have been mom again.

I felt everyone's stares on my back as my feet scuffled about in a panic, finally getting outside into the cool November air. This party had been a bad idea altogether. I didn't know the host, some random college guy who happened to live a few blocks away. Mel begged me to come, of course because that random college guy was hot, and we just had to go. Personally there were one too many older drunk guys lopping around for my taste, plus the music was crap.

I liked to spend Friday nights curled up on the couch watching Netflix until my brother came down with his friends and kicked me out. It was nice to know exactly how things would turn out every day, it was routine.

Suddenly a loud shrill broke the quiet of the night. I shivered under my sweater and sped up, dreaming of a nice warm house. Maybe I'd even make up some of that mint hot chocolate from the recipe gram gave me back when I turned thirteen. I clung to those thoughts as the dim street light above flickered, and the sirens of an ambulance grew louder, sounding more and more in distress.

My house was in sight when I could hear it behind me, then see it pass me, and then see it turn right into my driveway. The ambulance was in my driveway. At my house.

Before I knew it my legs were taking me, going faster even than when we had to do speed tests in gym class. I could almost feel the adrenaline in my veins, yet I couldn't feel anything at all.

Two paramedics rushed in the front door, and I wasn't far behind them. One stray called out to me about not being allowed in, which only made me go faster, throwing the door open. "Check all vital signs!" someone was calling out. My father was the first to notice me and blocked my way into the kitchen. His eyes were streaked with red and his hair was displaced. The reality of what was happening started to sink in.

"Dad what's wrong, what happened? Tell me, please tell me!" My hands were shaking against his strong arms, which wrapped around me.

"Shh... everything is going to be fine, we'll be alright." His words were meant to soothe me, but they just made it worse. "Is it mom?" my voice cracked as I searched his face for an answer, but his face stayed the same, as hard as stone. I scrambled backwards out of his embrace and ran through the living room to make it in on the other side of the kitchen.

The two paramedics from before were huddled around someone on the floor and I took a few more steps forward so I could see. All of the sudden it hit me. My mom's car wasn't in the driveway.

She wasn't home yet, which meant it couldn't be her.

Justin! My legs turned to jelly when I saw a flash of dark brown hair just like my own and my breath came in short shallow turns. There was a man in front of me now that I couldn't identify, and I think he was talking to me because his mouth seemed to be moving, though I couldn't hear anything.

The room spun and my vision blurred, then there was a short falling sensation right before darkness took over.