Chapter 4

"Hey guys!" Brooklyn said, smiling as she hopped into Aaron's car the next day.

"Brooky, you never answered any of my calls or texts! We were worried sick about you, speaking of, were you sick?" Aaron asked concern taking over.

I was so glad to see Brooklyn, my nightmares had been getting worse, and no amount of make-up seemed to be able to hide the dark circles under my eyes. And it just seemed odd without her, like there was something missing.

"I wasn't sick; I just had this check-up thing. You know how long of a wait it is to go in and see a doctor at our hospital, my mom said I could just skip school." She said this with a shrug.

"Do you still have that head-ache?" I asked her.

"No, just took some Advil and it was all good." Aaron looked over at me, and then put his hand on Brooklyn's shoulder, "Another head-ache? Gosh I hope that's what the check-up was about."

"As a matter of fact, it was. Happy?"

"Very." He said smiling though I could tell his mind was elsewhere, he didn't say anything else the entire drive. I didn't understand much of their little exchange, but decided to drop it.

We had exams in less than two weeks. The teachers were instructed not to give us any more homework so that we had time to study. If the principal had merely suggested not giving us any more homework, we would still be getting it.

Taylor was also in my History class, and I noticed how she wasn't a complete airhead after all. She was actually really smart, always the first to hand in her quizzes, and the teacher never called on her. Everyone knows that the teachers always call on the slightly less-than-smart kids; it's just how it is.

The day was crazy, I don't know if I was just very tired or the teachers are in sync when it comes to the amount of work they plan. Probably a bit of both. By lunch I was looking forward to art. That's the only time I get to talk to James, I looked around the cafeteria for him but couldn't find him anywhere.

Maybe he has no one to eat lunch with... I was debating whether or not to tell Aaron and Brooklyn when a hand was in my face.

"What!?" I cried out, so lost in thought I hadn't realized they were talking to me.

"Earth to Skylar? What were you thinking about?" Brooklyn laughed.

"Well, it's nothing really..." I trailed off hoping they would leave it at that

"Oh! Is this about a... boy?" Aaron asked emphasizing the last word, leaning in from the other side of the table. I sighed and decided to get it over with.

"What's the deal with James?" I asked in a rush.

"James Murray?" Aaron and Brooklyn said in unison looking shocked.

"Um, yeah I guess...?"

"Oh Skylar. He's bad news hunny." Aaron said then went on to explain, "He dropped out of school for a year, and while I don't like to listen to gossip, people said he went to a mental hospital. He doesn't do very well in school, and I don't know if he ever had a real girlfriend before."

I was shocked about the mental hospital rumor, even if it was true it's not something people should be spreading or making fun of. Some people are just plain evil.

"Not everyone has to be in a relationship, and plus I was just asking as a friend. He's in my art class, that's all." I told them. They nodded, but didn't look very convinced.

"We're just trying to look out for you," Brooklyn added while wrapping her arms around first my shoulder, then Aaron's. I forgot about everything from before, and basked in the joy of having real friends