𝐒𝐈𝐗, over the hills

"OVER THE HILLS," Raelyn sighs, looking out onto the horizon as if she is an elvish warrior addicted to the sun, or Legolas. She hates to admit it, but the elves stare out into space so often. Sometimes she wonders if they are having vivid daydreams that are so transfixing, they can barely look away. "Do you remember that song? Bilbo used to sing it."

"Perhaps," Legolas remarks, grinning. His stoic expression has barely changed since they set out — wary and careful. "I never spent much time with Bilbo, as you did. And you only quoted three words, hardly enough to judge. "

"I'm sure Pippin will know it," Raelyn rolls her eyes. "Pippin, you know that song, 'Over the hills'?" Her voice carries over the hilltop, the wind aiding her. It seems odd to think of, but even nature seems to be on their side, as if they have allied themselves against Sauron's demonic rule. The thought brings her immense joy. 

"Of course!" He enthuses, grinning. "Doesn't everybody?"

"Apparently not." She nudges Legolas's shoulder.

Merry begins to sing, his sweet voice carrying over the company, pushing them into the euphoric, dangerous state of contentment. "Over the hills and far away, o'er the hills and o'er the main —

Pippin joins in, and their voices sweetly harmonising. Raelyn blinks away tears, remembering a different version of the song. 

"Through Woodhall, Hobbiton and Stock,"

"The King commands and we obey."

"Over the hills and far away." 

"When duty calls me, I must go,"

"To stand and face another foe."

 "But part of me will always stray,"

"Over the hills and far away."

"I knew a different version," Boromir says roughly, once the hobbits have finished their singing. Frodo and Sam are grinning happily with the memories of home, and even Aragorn has cracked a smile. "It was not so heartwarming."

"Oh," Raelyn half snickers, nudging Legolas's elbow. He narrows eyes, warning her, before turning away. For some reason, he's refraining from mocking Boromir. She doesn't care; she'll make fun of him anyway, with or without her partner in crime. "I didn't realise they sung in Gondor."

He ignores the veiled insult, while Aragorn rolls his eyes, thinking he is discreet. Frodo spots him, and snickers quietly under his breath. "We sing of our lost brothers and fellow soldiers, not of travels and serving our king."

Aragorn stiffens at the tone of voice in which Boromir spits out the word "king," as if it is some terrible curse spoken only by the most dirty and undesirable. But he says nothing, silent and calm and stiller than the white tree of Gondor. And Raelyn feels her magic curl up inside to prepare for a deadly strike. A venomous snake, hissing beneath her skin. 

Raelyn has never been one for forgiveness, nor conceding the battle before it's even fought. But, as if he knows exactly what she wants to do, before she's moved an inch off her shiny pedestal, Aragorn shakes his head. The slightest movement, but she knows what it means; she's fought beside him for years, after all. 

So she respects his wishes, and says nothing. It's Aragorn he disrespected, and she respects Aragorn too much to go against his wishes. She can be controlled when she wants to. Most of the time, she doesn't want to.