Chapter 2

I turned the corner which lead further into what was called 'backstage' and tried looking for what I saw. 'This is impossible. The only reason is because it's not true. They aren't here and neither is he. But what I saw was... What you saw was nothing. Go back to Aleigha.' My thoughts were right. How could it be after all these years that I see them here or was it my imagination? I sighed and stopped my attempt of finding him or them and turned to head back to Aleigha.

In the small crowd, I made my way through to my niece who I found perched up on the edge of the balcony with a guy who seemed to be harassing her. I slowly approached her and watched him inventively and in a blink of an eye, he was quickly on the ground.

"I am sorry sir but that is my niece that you are touching and she just so happens to be 15. So before you want to find your self in the magazine for being a pedophile, I suggest you take your nasty ass somewhere else." He gaped at me with wide eyes, holding his jaw, speechless. He looked around seeing the amount of people who just witnessed his stupidity and decided to just get up and leave.

"Thank you TiTi. I tried to get him away from me and he wouldn't listen." She said as she wrapped her arms around me in a huge hug. I hugged her close to me and tried to calm her down. As long as I was with her, nothing would ever happen to her and she knew that. I pulled her away from me and held her by her shoulders and took a look at her. Pale skin, rosy cheeks and swollen red eyes.

"Hey, look at me." She looked up from the ground, her eyes filled with worry and scared, "Don't cry and worry yourself. I am always going to be here to protect you. I have made that vow since you were born and again when we lost your mom in the accident. I am here and always will be here." I reassured her and whipped the tears that fell down her cheeks. "Stop this crying and enjoy the rest of the show, plus Lzzy is about to perform." She smiled at me and nodded, then turned around to watch Lzzy perform.

Lzzys' performance was astounding. She was very talented and so was her band members. Watching other performers and listening to a few awards, it was again time for another show and this so happened to be my favorite band. Metallica. Enjoying the music that was playing, I started to remember why I took my first job as a photographer, snapping pictures for Van's Warped Tour. Seeing known artist and as well as seeing upcoming artists, it was amazing.

Metallica's set was coming to an end and I could hear the crowd cheer and chant for more, but because it was a timed award show they couldn't. Finally the last awards for the evening, "Song Of The Year", when the presenters came on to the stage everyone cheered and then got quiet.

"Thank you. And the Winner of the "Song of the Year" award goes to..." he paused as he slowly opened the envelope.

"In The End by Black Veil Brides!" My world stopped.Honestly I knew what I had saw, but I didn't want to believe it, and now it was coming true. They were here and so was he.

I watched the stage slowly as CC, Jake, Jinxx and Ashley appeared on stage and then saw him with his gazelle legs climb the stairs and take the award in his hand. Andy had changed. His hair was cut, dressed in a black suit and no war paint on. His eyes were brighter than ever before and he was happy. 'He made his dream come true... But don't forget, he did it without you.' 

Choking on air, I swallowed the lump in my throat and snapped out of this daze. I didn't want to be here any longer, I didn't want to run into them and I needed fresh air and a cigarette. I turned around from the stage and started to walk towards the stairs but was caught by the arm by Aleigha.

"TiTi, where are you going? The show is still going on." Her eyes pleaded with me to stay but I had to get out.

"Aleigha, I am just going outside to have a smoke. Stay here and enjoy the rest of the show and call me when its done and I will come back inside to get you. I am not leaving you alone or going anywhere its okay." I said and gave her a hug and turned on my heel to rush down the stairs.

I turned the corner that led me to the sitting area where we sat before the show and then headed straight down the hallway towards the backstage exit. Quickly I dodged anyone that was in my way, execpt at the end. Someone had come out of a room and wasn't looking down the hall, but behind him and I ran right into him. causing us both to fall to the floor.

Scrambling to get up fast, I was apologizing to him, "I am so, so sorry. Please forgive me."

He got up off the floor and chuckled, "It's okay. I should have looked where I was going." He said wiping off his clothes and then he looked up and caught eyes with me. Fuck. It was Ashley. I tried looking away and moving passed him but he just stood there. I was hoping that he wasn't able to remember me, but I was wrong.

"Veronica?" His voice was a whisper and he shook his head in disbelief. "Is this really you?"

I quickly tried to think of a way to escape but it wasn't working. I knew that if Ashley was coming out of that room, then Andy was in there as well and I didn't want any of them to know I was here, especially Andy. I looked around quickly darting my eyes back and forth between Ashley and the doorway, praying he didn't come out.

"Ashley, please." I sighed, no one knew what happened to us and I wasn't about to journey down memory lane. "Please let me outside. I am not here to jog down memory lane with you or the guys, or with Andy. Please." His looked was confused, but he understood what I was asking. He stepped to the side and let me pass him and out the backdoor.

Finally being out of the confines of the building and away from old memories, I took a cigarette out of my pack and searched for my lighter. Fuck. It was no where to be found on any of my pockets. And I realized it was in 'my' jacket that had beer spilled all over it. Pissed off and annoyed I kicked a box into the back ally just cursing out obscenities before I was interrupted.

"Veronica." He paused and was asking for permission. I sighed and audible sigh and he proceeded talking.

"What the hell are you doing?"  I turned around a looked at him like he was stupid.

"Ashley, I am pissed off and annoyed. First I get here and get beer spilled all over me, then get clean clothes, knock some asshole to the ground because he was trying to hit on my 15 year old niece, then y'all show up, I rush out to have a cigarette, run into you, and go to light up my cig and don't have my lighter. Forgive me for cursing."

I ran my hand through my hair, trying to release some tension from my body but it wasn't working. I needed the nicotine in my system. I stood there with my back turned towards Ashley trying to keep the memories suppressed when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned slightly and saw he was offering me a lighter. He doesn't smoke. Maybe it was a spare he had for Andy. I wasn't sure but I wasn't going to ask. I smiled and took the lighter, finally being able to take a drag and fill my lungs with nicotine.

"Thanks," I said handing him back the lighter and feeling much lighter than just a few minutes before. It was quiet, but I knew this wasn't going to last for very long. And just as I was able to relax a little bit, I immediately tensed up at the question Ashley asked me.

"Why did you say you didn't want to journey down memory lane, Veronica?" I rolled my eyes at him calling me by my whole name.

"Roni. I am called Roni. And I didn't because..." I trailed off. How was I supposed to be able to answer this when he doesn't know the truth. We all knew Andy made it my fault when we split up, when it was all him. How could I tell his best friend that what happened was all his fault?

"Roni?" Ashley spoke up indicating that he was waiting for me to respond.

"It's complicated Ashley. Look, everything that happened, happened and regardless if the reasoning was true or not, its not something I want to go through again."

"Wait." He said looking at me shocked. "What do you mean if it was true or not? Roni, what the hell happened?"

This was gonna be bad....