4

"Fuck!"

I yell as I roll off my bed and hit the floor.

shit. shit. shit. shit.

I over slept again. I grab the nearest pair of pants I see and dont bother to change the shirt I am wearing. I mean its not like anyone can tell I slept in it right? I attempt to brush my hair, teeth, and put my shoes on all at the same time which don't go nearly as well as I had hoped. I sling my pack back over my shoulder and head for the stairs taking them two or three at a time. 

******************************

"Holy shit!" 

I yell as I ran up to Archer trying to catch my breath. I stop and bend over putting my hands on my knees and gasping for air. 

"jeeeeez you are out of breath. are you sure you've never smoked before?" 

Archer says as he laughs. 

"Ok you can shut it right now or else i'm not sharing my cupcake with you."

"Fine fine you win! I cave"

"Good, now you ready for you second day of school here?"

"Well if this place makes people break down crying like that girl over there im not sure I am ready."

"Oh thats Elain, wow shes really blubbering isn't she. Give me a sec and Ill go find out whats up."

I walk towards Elain looking for someone around her who might know whats up. After retrieving my answer I head back to Archer.

"its wierd. like really wierd. Mega wierd."

"Just tell me already!"

"Her dog is dead"

"Holly, thats not wierd"

"Her dog didn't just die. He was ripped apart."

"Like ripped open 

"yeah. this is where it gets even weirder, only the heart was gone."

"you think it was a bear or something?"

"doubtful. The dogs neck was snapped but beyond that there was no damage besides the missing heart. What bear have you heard of killing like that."

Archer slowly cracked a smile. "maybe it was the local werewolves." He said widening his eyes as if to try and scare me.

"You actually heard about that?" I say burying my face in my hands in defeat.

"of course its a local legend. Its like the first thing i learned about this place." 

"Thats all anyone ever knows about this place. Never mind the beautiful forests, rivers and unmatched hiking and camping we have here. nooooooo, all anyone cares about is the stupid were wolves."

I look over and see Archer wide eyed and unsure of how to respond to my sudden outburst. I sigh and rub my temples 

"Sorry. My parents own the towns motel and because we are the only place tourists can stay, we get all of them. We used to only get people who came here for the hiking, but ever since some paranormal website published a story about us all we get now are people who are hoping to see a real live werewolf. Who ever said there is no such thing as bad publicity couldn't be more wrong. Those supernatural hunter freaks are the absolute worst customers."

"I didn't know running a small town motel could be so difficult." Archer says as he tries to hold back his laughter. 

"yeah, well it is" I say not acknowledging his obvious sarcasm.

"So what exactly is the story of werewolves here?" 

"Well legend is werewolves and humans used to live in this town together. It was like a refuge for them. One day a kid from the local town was found mauled. I'm sure you can guess who they blamed for that. The town came together and ran the werewolves off. They say if you go out into the woods at night you might run into one."

"And people really believe that?"

"They sure do, and this incident is only going to make all of that worse."

"What, you don't believe in werewolves?"

"Of course not. Don't get me wrong i love mythology and horror movies, but they are exactly that, movies. Come on we better get to class."

We both turn and start heading in the direction of our classroom. 

"If these trails are so amazing how about you show me sometime?" Archer asked.

"I would like that. Theres one I havent been down in a long time and I think I would like to go back there."