Part 2

Tris POV

I wait. For the explosion. The confusion. And finally it comes.

Tobias's hands begin to shake and then he stands, throwing the box aside, but the paper still in his hand. He hits the wall with both fists and then leans against it, head down.

I get up and grip his shoulder. “It's ok,” I say. “Calm down.”

Though I don't know what other kind of reaction i'd expect from him. It's probably what I would do.

His shoulders heave from the heavy breaths, back muscles expanding and contracting. I slide underneath him and force him to straighten. I put my hands on his shoulders. His eyes are red.

“It's ok, this doesn't change anything.”

“Doesn't change anything? Tris, are you insane? This changes everything!”

He pulls away and looks down at the smashed paper in his hands. The disbelief is written all over him.

“Not everything,” I say slowly. “You're still the same person you where two minutes ago.”

He looks at me, features twisted with confusion. “No Tris. I'm not. I have a brother out there somewhere! And I don't even know...where he came from.”

He is still shaking. I bite my lip. One thing Tobias did not need was this. To find something that he thinks makes him incomplete. To find that his Mother-in a way-lied to him again by letting him think he was an only child. The questions racing through his mind must be numerous. Who was the Father of his younger brother? Where has he been this whole time? The last names are not the same. Was that why Evelyn was exiled, because of an affair?

I know one thing. Tobias will not rest until he finds those answers. And the one place to start is going to be Evelyn.

Tobias POV

I lie in bed staring at the ceiling. It is 2 AM and my eyes refuse to close. Tris sleeps soundly beside me, her breathing being the only sound I hear. I am deaf to everything else.

I cannot get the name “Shaun Johnson” out of my mind. Who is he really? And why the hell did my Mother keep him a secret?

Carefully I sit up and slide my feet onto the floor. I know I will never be able to sleep so I go downstairs

I see City lights in the distance and the street lights cast an orange glow on the surrounding houses. It is quiet.

I collapse into the chair and rub my eyes. It's almost a blur. I feel almost like I'm dreaming or in some kind of freaky simulation that I can't beat.