Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

The True Masters

Richard thanked all the Gods, both old and new, from his world, and all the Gods from this world that he had a free period to end his day; unlike every other student at the academy. While the others had to go off to their respective Elemental classes, Richard was allowed to retreat to his private floor and just relax for the evening. And that's exactly what he did after his first day back at the academy; or that's what he intended at least. The truth was that the moment he sat down on the plush couch in front of the fireplace he fell asleep before he could even get up and go to his bed.

Sometime later Richard was woken when he felt a gentle hand brush his shoulder, and opening his eyes he found Daiya hovering over him. Her hair hung over her eyes and cascaded down her face, obscuring her a little bit; but he could still see the tired smile she wore. She didn't seem to notice that he had woken up though, and she continued to adjust the blanket that she had just placed over him; making sure to cover him up entirely.

“How was class?” he asked groggily, startling the young woman a little.

“I'm sorry I woke you,” she said, running her hand through his hair now. “Class was boring. But thanks for asking.”

“Why was it boring?” he now asked, rolling over slightly so he could get a better look at Daiya.

“Because I already know everything they teach in that class, so most of the time I just sit there and help others out. I've never even learned a spell in that class that I didn't already know and have mastered.”

Richard just smiled at her and then lifted the edge of the blanket up, showing off the space that was still left on the edge of the couch. “Do you want to lay down?” he then asked, and Daiya's tired smile grew a little.

“I was going to suggest we go and lay down in bed for the rest of the night, but it doesn't look like you have the energy to get up off the couch right now,” she laughed gently, then slowly slid onto the couch next to him.

The two of them just relaxed for a while, enjoying the silence of the private floor and heat from the others body and the lit fire in the hearth. After their long journey and their first day back to school, both of them were drained and tired beyond belief. The only thing they wanted to do in that moment was get some sleep and recharge their batteries, but it quickly became apparent that this just wasn't in the cards for them; they had unexpected visitors.

It was technically against the rules for anyone to come to that floor if they weren't invited before hand, but it seemed their friends didn't get that memo as they just appeared at the top of the stairwell while chatting and laughing loudly. It seemed like everyone had come, even Coni and Aura. At first Richard hoped they would notice them lying together on the couch and give them some privacy, but he wasn't that lucky.

“I thought the rule on being together was that you had to do it in the privacy of your room,” Aura said after clearing her throat loudly. She didn't seem too serious about her accusation though, as there was a pleasant and bemused smile on her pretty face.