Three

A/N: BTW, this was set before Tanjiro trained to become a demon slayer. Even though he and Fuyuka are the same age here, she's already a slayer at this age.

Happy Reading!!

-------------------------

After his mission, Tomioka decided to visit his master since the place is quite near. He already went ahead and sent a mail to Urokodaki that he's planning to visit him. Walking closer to the place he once grew up, he saw that his master didn't change at all, still donning that mask on his face. The old man was sweeping in front of his simple house when he caught his scent.

He greeted his master and both of them sat on a stool outside the house.

"It is rare for you to come and visit, Giyu" Urokodaki said as he sat next to the young man "Is there something you need to ask from me personally?"

Tomioka looked at him, "I recall you once mentioned about a former snow Hashira named Shiho."

"Yes, I did. I even told you that she had a student before she passed away."

"Was student's name is Kuchino Fuyuka? A white haired girl?"

Even with his mask on, Tomioka can tell that the old man was surprised "Yes. I clearly remember that I haven't told you her name. How did you know?"

"I met her days ago. She's already a fine demon slayer for her age." He replied. "I'd like to ask if you know her background."

"This is a surprise, Giyu. Why do you ask?" the old man asked, knowing the young man is not the type to be interested in other people.

"I'm interested about her as a young slayer."

Urokodaki looked at him in surprise, "This is such a rare occurrence. To think that Giyu would be interested in another slayer much younger than him..."

He cleared his throat as he started, "Well, Shiho mentioned her to me a lot and I mostly saw her train at such a young age when I visit her. Very young, I'd say she's only 8 that time."

"Too young to train as a slayer." He agreed, "A girl no less."

"She said that the girl asked her for training in guidance because of the book she had."

"Book?"

"Apparently, it contains ice breathing techniques, a rare and powerful one" he replied. "She didn't tell me more about the book. She as a former snow Hashira, tried to comprehend the book she had and taught her the best that she can."

"Are their breathing techniques that different? I've never seen slayers use ice breathing technique so I can't tell."

The old man placed a thumb on his chin "According to Shiho, her snow breathing is a branch of ice breathing, and the girl was trying to learn ice breathing. It wasn't hard for her to teach her, but there were some forms she cannot teach her because it is outside her field of knowledge."

"I see..." he asked the next question "Was she a victim of a demon?"

"Like most demon slayers are, yes." He nodded gravely. "The sole survivor of a demon's attack in their home and it seemed they were killed in front of her. Her father died shortly after he killed the demon and the slayers saw her holding a book."

The situation didn't surprise the Water Hashira. Tragic it may be, but that's the reality they live.

"Most children who experienced a demon's attack and survive would deal a huge trauma to them. She's a strong girl." Tomioka said.

"However," the old man started, "She mentioned something interesting."

"What is it?"

"She once hesitated in beheading a demon"

"Was it because of her trauma?"

"I don't think so." He shook his head, "Shiho said she saw pain and sadness in them. I think, though it sounds absurd, she empathizes with demons. She gives off a kind scent."

What kind of human would empathize with demons when a demon slaughtered her own family right on front of her eyes?

"...It really is absurd."

***

Weeks have passed ever since Tomioka saved her and Fuyuka still cannot get over that she just spoke to a Water Hashira.

"Who would've thought it was a Hashira who saved me...a water pillar no less..." She thought as she went back to her village "I'm glad I wasn't being disrespectful..."

The village that she lived is located at the foot of a mountain. It's not a big one, but it's not that small either in size. As she entered the village, fearful and scornful eyes greeted her, along with a few mumblings and whispers as she walked past them.

She didn't mind it, since she got used to it. It's not like she can do anything about it.

She opened the shoji door and was about to call out "Ano...tadaima-"

"Leave."

She blinked and looked up to make sure she wasn't hearing things. "Eh?"

The "friends" of her parents who were forced to take care of her had enough of her existence in their household. They, in truth, didn't want to take care of a cursed child.

"Eh?! B-But, if it was from what I did-" she shivered when she saw the coldness in their eyes. How ironic that she uses snow breathing yet she shivers from the cold eyes. "I-If it's money you need, I-I can find some work-"

"Enough, girl. Leave this household."

The man threw her small bag, since she doesn't that much things other than her clothes and her parents' mementos. She looked at the bag in shock, not believing the situation escalated to this.

Of course, she is aware about their cold treatment, but she didn't expect that it would end them kicking her out.

When they noticed she didn't move, the man threatened her. "Leave. Before we ask for the police to come."

She couldn't utter a word as she weakly lifted her bag and started walking away. After reaching the door, she turned around and bowed.

"Ano...thank you for taking care of me..."

If they heard it, they probably passed it through their ears like it was nothing.

Fuyuka felt alone. She doesn't have any place to go to, except for her former home, which is now broken down mostly. Save for the roof and floor and a few walls left.

Her master, the former Hashira, already passed away after the final selections. The last time she went to her late master's house after she's an official member of the demon slaying corps, the whole place had collapsed.

She didn't have any choice but to her former home.

No one in her village would want to take care of the child of the family who had a demon within them.

She's a cursed child, they would say.

"Tadaima." she forced a smile as she entered her old home.