5. Cabin

No, there wasn’t any witch that opened the door. It was an old big guy.

As big as an elephant.

I looked up and saw him scowling at me; I gulped. Now I wish it was really a witch. Hey! That rhymes, I think.

Mini in my arms cringed and barked at him, making the big guy look at her.

Girl, you are going to get me killed someday.

“What do you want?” He growled, his voice deep. Not in a good way though.

“...” I paled.

“Hello, Mr.” Daniel came from behind and explained our situation to him. “We ran out of fuel and were looking for a place to stay, and a storm is coming.”

“Yeah, I know.” He looked deadpan at Daniel.

Oh! He also knew about the storm. I’m the only oblivious one here.

“So, can we bunk here till the storm goes by?” The big guy started to close the door, “we can pay you too.” He hurried.

The big guy halted and glimpsed at me. Why is he looking at me?

Daniel stepped in front of me, protecting me from the big guy’s gaze.

“In cash.” He firmly added.

I looked over from Daniel’s shoulder at the guy, Daniel is taller than me but the guy’s even taller than him.

They both stared at each other like they were in a staring contest.

Hurry, people! I’m freezing here.

Big guy sighed in irritation and moved from the door, inviting us in. Daniel wrapped his arm around me, and we went inside.

I knew he was always protective of his sister, and she always complained about him being overprotective. Now that I’m experiencing it firsthand, I felt giddy, my heart throbbing in my ears and a stupid grin on my face.

EEE... I wish we could stay like this forever. My plead didn’t last long as he let go of me.

The inside of the cabin was warm and cozy; there was one small bed, couch, few cabinets in the corner with a microwave there and fireplace lightly burning.

“There is some food in the cabinets,” the guy started grabbing things, “and extra woods.” He jerked his head towards the woods in the corner. “I’m going out for a while.” He said, walking towards the door and before closing it, he glanced back at us. “Just don’t get my sheets dirty.” With that, he left.

The dull sound of the door closing echoed in the cabin. Daniel and I stood frozen in our places, both red in embarrassment, avoiding each other’s gaze.

That a**hole had to leave us in awkwardness!

Mini barked, saving me. [I’m hungry, twat!]

“I’ll go look for something to eat.” I hurried towards the cabinets.

“I’ll get some woods.” He mumbled behind me.

*~*~*~*~*

[Hurry!] Mini kept barking impatiently.

“Give me a minute, I’m looking.”

I was searching the cabinets for food and found some frozen food and instant coffee. I boiled some water for coffee and put the frozen thing, which looked like a fish to me in the microwave for Mini.

They didn’t even need refrigerators for foods; the weather was enough to keep it frozen.

I put the timer on the microwave. Mini jumped in front of it, wiggling her tail with her tongue out.

[Hurry food, hurry!] I rolled my eyes at her. As the timer went off, I took it out and placed it in front of Mini. [Yummy!] She launched at it.

I took two mugs and poured coffee for me and Daniel. Speaking of him, he was still in front of the fireplace, adding more woods into it.

I walked towards him and lifted the mug. “Here, drink it while it’s hot,” I mumbled and went towards the couch, plopping on it, with a blanket on me, keeping me warm.

After a few seconds later, Daniel stood and sat beside me, covering himself with the blanket. We haven’t talked since the big guy left us in that awkward situation. We silently sat there sipping our coffee and heard winds blowing outside.

Our thighs touched, making me shiver. It suddenly felt hot. I gulped my coffee and glanced at Daniel, his dark hairs falling on his forehead making my fingers itch to move them, my favorite chocolate eyes looking outside the window, his soft pink lips that I want so badly and-

“Guess the storm is here,” Daniel said, breaking me out of my dirty thoughts.

“Yeah.” I sat straight, clearing my throat.

You’re a bad girl, Victoria.

“So... How was everything going in Hartford?” He questioned.

“Cool, I guess. After graduating, I joined a small firm. It pays enough to feed me and Mini, but I’m still looking for somewhere else.” He nodded. “What about you?”

I didn’t need to ask him that because I already knew. Stalker.

“After completing MBA, I went to NYC and am working in an organization...” He continued telling me what I already know.

You can thank Instagram for that.

He lived alone, work in one of the famous organizations, currently single. I even know the name of the girls he dated.

“And I visit our town every year.” He smiled. “You know how my parents are, they want to spend every holiday together.”

I’m very well aware of that.

When I permanently moved with my grandparents after my parents’ death, I was ten. The first friend I made was Alice, and she invited me on Christmas that year.

The moment I stepped into her house, I regretted it. Everyone in my town is very spirited for festivals but Alice’s house was... another level.

Her house was decorated with Christmas theme, Santa’s, reindeer's everywhere, for me it was too much. Her parents were so lovely, and the way they were treating me reminded me of mine, and I felt nauseous. I ran away from their house. I was both embarrassed and jealous of Alice that day. After that, I never went to her house for Christmas again.

“Did anything change back there?” I asked, trying to get rid of the emotions.

“Nah, everything’s the same.” His smile widened, and that smile reminded me of the first time we met.

*~*~*~*~*

Don't forget to vote and give your feedback❤