sixteen.

Ana stood, frozen in place. Why on Earth was he here, sobbing uncontrollably in this bathroom? Did he come here because it reminded him of Ana? Was he crying over cursing Katie Bell? Should Ana leave? Call out to him? Just run over and hug him?

Draco was doubled over under one of the bathroom sinks, his back turned to her. Ana thought that maybe she could just leave, as she was sure Draco didn't want her there. But he was crying, and Ana suddenly forgot the several past months of torment. Draco was coming undone right before her eyes and it was the most painful thing she had ever endured at that point in her life. He was crying harshly, his back wracking with sob after sob. The sound of it hit Ana hard, turning her blood cold. She felt her eyes well up in tears at his pain. Her eyebrows furrowed together, her face contorted. Her chest panged like she was being stabbed. Even after months of being apart from him, Draco's pain was Ana's pain.

But then he noticed her. He had peeked back over his shoulder and spotted her, standing there staring at him with a look that only made Draco want to cry harder. His reaction to her presence was immediate.

"Get out!" Draco bellowed angrily, scrambling to his feet and walking over to her. He had never looked so disheveled: his white hair was in a sweaty mop over his forehead and his long sleeve, white button-down had been buttoned lopsidedly. Draco had also never looked so angry. Ana opened her mouth to say something, just as a hot tear ran down her cheek. Draco flinched, wiping the wetness from his own eyes. "Leave!" Draco yelled at her. His face was contorted in unabashed fury. But telling Ana to leave made him crumble again as new sobs arose in his throat. She had to leave. She couldn't be here. She couldn't comfort him, or he'd explode and tell her everything, which he knew he would be killed for. He had to make Ana leave, as she was standing steadfast in front of him, surprising him with her refusal to back down. The heat of the moment and his anger, pain, and embarrassment brought his wand up to her face. To Draco's surprise, Ana didn't even flinch. He witnessed another tear fall down her beautiful face and his lifted hand started to shake.

Ana walked towards him, her heart beating hard in her chest but her breathing calm. Draco's wand was poised right at her, but she wasn't afraid. He couldn't push her away this time. She wouldn't fucking let him. Ana got closer and stepped right up to his outstretched wand, raising her neck so that the tip of it pressed firm against her throat.

"Do it," Ana hissed through gritted teeth, staring into his very soul. Draco stood there, his eyes widened to the size of saucers. She wasn't backing down. She was willing to chance whatever he would do to her. Draco had a passing thought that perhaps this girl would do anything in the world for him, even now. Even after not talking to him since the very start of the year. Even after what Draco had become. And with that, Draco came undone all over again.

He stumbled back, his wand dropping out of his hand and clattering loudly on the tile floor. Ana watched as Draco's face shriveled up in sorrow again. He fell back, his back hitting the wall where he crumbled to the ground. His sobs echoed throughout the empty bathroom, loud and cracking and heart breaking and he buried his face in the crook of his elbow, wanting to shield himself from what he had just done, raising his wand at Ana's face. Draco was disappearing inside of himself, curling in deeper and deeper as he broke apart.

Ana walked cautiously to him. When she reached his shuttering frame, she crouched down on her knees before him, placing two tentative hands on his shoulders, trying to draw him out of his shell. He flinched a little at her soft touch, but raised his head out of the crook of his arm. He looked terrified. Ana was crying too; she let out a horrible choking sound. Draco bit his trembling lip. His silver, watery eyes looked at her in fear and agony and within an instant, she had pulled him into her arms. It took some time, but soon Draco's arms were around Ana, his face pressed against her chest, holding on tightly. He could feel something cold and hard against his cheek, but he ignored it, sobbing into her. His body jerked as he started to hyperventilate, unable to calm down, even in Ana's arms.